Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that my rear is riding at the right height, but there is like a 3" clearance between my BFG's and the wheel wells.

I'm looking to drop the car to standard SS height, or about another inch on that. Any suggestions that aren't so deep in the pocket?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You would have to remove the 9C1 springs when replacing them. Why pay for replacements when you can cut the originals. I cut 3/4 of a coil of the top of the springs in my 9C1 and it dropped my car to the same ride height as an 'SS, which is about 27 1/2" from the garage floor to the highest part of the wheelwell molding.

Keep in mind that my 9C1 only has about 68,000 miles on it, and I also lowered the rear of the car using small spring compressors (NAPA $5 each side). Each car will be slightly different.

Use a cut-off wheel with a die grinder or a sawzall with a carbon blade for cutting metal. I used a torch (not supposed to) to cut the springs. Before cutting I placed 2 vicegrip pliers on each side of the cut, that I had placed in the freezer for about 4 hours before cutting. They acted as a heat sink and kept the spring from over-heating.

If you can do the labor yourself, this way of lowering your car will cost you almost nothing.

Email me if you have more questions.

Later...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...I'm seeing some posts on a front-end 'clunk' from the drivers(?) side after replacing springs. Anybody else had that problem? Seems like I read somewhere to line up the end of the coils with holes that are in the spring mount pads...?!?!?!!?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to do the labor myself, but only have a hacksaw and a dremel. Would you suggest I go get a decent saw for the job. This is the normal way my tool collection grows.
...just got a drill for my trailer hitch install.
...bought jack stands to do my plugs/wires

VooDoo Daddy, my 95 has about 84k miles on it, so I'm sure the springs don't need to be replaced. Could you give me some detailed instructions on how to remove the springs?

Marlon, I heard that if they don't line up perfectly with the opening you speak of you'll get that. Someone re-seated their springs after installing them and it fixed the problem. (I read)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Likewise, I cut my front 9C1 springs 3/4 coil with no problems after. I replaced the rears with stock SS springs. Cut mine with a masonry abrasive wheel and a skil saw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts