Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brothers 9c1 stalls intermediatly. Also if he drives the car for a distance long enough to heat up the car after he shuts it down he has to wait for the car to cool down some before it fires up again. Could this be the sign of a bad opti-spark? Also when checking under his hood while the car was running he moved some wires that seemed to come from behind the water pump(Think it was the harness to the optispark) and the car damn near stalled out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Check your PCV valve, has rubber hoses coming off it that could have become brittle over time and possibly gotten moved/broke while you were messing with wiring. Just a thought, I know if it's not working properly the car will start and die quickly.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will check.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Will check.
NM, I'm an idiot. I thought you said immediately the first time I read.

No what it sounds like is your needing new spark plug wires. Below/behind that water pump is your opti (you probably already know that) and what you have running in there is the wire from the blaster coil, wires for plugs, 1 plug for wiring on the passenger side, and two vacuum lines on the bottom.

I would try replacing the spark plug wires first, after checking all the connections to the opti. You're due to have those wires replaced anyway if they haven't been already. And just fair warning they are a PITA to route them like they are supposed to be ran and if you don't you'll probably melt them.

Being that you said the car almost died when you moved those wires I'd say it's definitely related to your opti but I don't think it's your opti, it's in the wiring or hoses.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Is the CEL on?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dont think he has any codes. Ive been trying to contact him all day. Hope he hasnt destroyed the car yet. He had a 91 5.0L caprice at first know he wants another one. He says the LT1's have to many issues. If he gets rid of it I wouldnt mind taking it off his hands. LOL

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dont think he has any codes. Ive been trying to contact him all day. Hope he hasnt destroyed the car yet. He had a 91 5.0L caprice at first know he wants another one. He says the LT1's have to many issues. If he gets rid of it I wouldnt mind taking it off his hands. LOL
It definitely requires some maintenance. But yeah LT1s are crap, there is a reason you go to car shows and never see them in old Chevys. cwm3

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont think lt1's are crap they make good power and are reliable to me. If you buy a run down anything it will need to be fixed. I know an older gentle man who bought his '95 caprice in '95 and still drives it to this day. Still has the original motor and trans. I will say this though I wish the LS engines came into these models instead though. Ive heard they can handle an assortment of bolt-ons with no problem. With the LT1 you have to find the right person who has some experience working with them. There not like the older 350s that where more easy to work with.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Don't bash the LT1 until you have driven one:D. They are good engines as long as you maintain them. If it werent for the opti they would be completly awesome.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Don't bash the LT1 until you have driven one:D. They are good engines as long as you maintain them. If it werent for the opti they would be completly awesome.
yeah have to agree....both my lt1s run like a ****ing champ....they dont break....the opti ehh not so much..

i dont think this is a opti issue, you would have problems in all ranges of temp .

i am gonna lean to o2,egr or vaccum

if i recall, wont a certin temp sensor cause this, it will tell the cpu that its like -3903 deg or someting i dont remmeber 100%

·
Registered
586 Posts
Have you considered replacing the electrical harness to the Opti-Spark? I mean, if you can jiggle it and cause the engine to stumble, my guess is, it's 14-16 years old, and it wouldn't hurt to replace it with a new one? It's only $50.
And they're not that expensive, so if it doesn't really do anything, you're not out much:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CEI-108097/

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I figure he would have to do that. for some reason I cant get in contact him. Im going to make him register to this site himself. im tryin to help his 9c1 out and now he disappears. Great all this helpful info for nothing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts