Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! At almost 43 years old, I think I deserve a bigger and more comfortable ride than my old Honda and I've decided I want a 92-96 Caprice. I've read most of the threads on this and other sites and have pieces of the puzzle but can somebody, in a very simple list, tell me the differences between a 9C1 and a civilian Caprice? Why would I want one over the other?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First, for differences, you can go here:
http://www.9C1.com

Look at the brochure info, which tells you what upgrades the 9C1 has. For '94-'96, you get 4 wheel disc brakes, where a civilian Caprice does not. An Impala SS of course has 4WDB. You get lifetime (I'm not sure WHOS lifetime) green silicone radiator hoses. Generally, the best reason for getting a 9C1 is the price vs. a civilian Caprice. You can get '92-'93 9C1s for giveaway prices, and get a '94-'96 LT1 9C1 for a fraction of what you'd pay for a civilian LT1 or Impala SS. But, in tradeoff, you get a car that could possibly been abused or neglected. I've seen 9C1s that are completly trashed, and I've seen some that look better than most individuals keep their cars. Try to find a car that was not a marked patrol car. A lot of governments bought a fleet of 9C1s, with some going into patrol, and some going to administator-type people. I just bought a P71 (police pkg.) Crown Victoria (don't laugh) that was driven by a county judge. Clean as could be. So, in summary, decide what you are going to do with/to the car and purchase accordingly. If you want to make an Impala SS clone, get a 9C1. If you just want a comfortable Caprice, get a civilian car.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bassman,
Give more information, such as the total amount you want to spend on this car.
Keep in mind purchase price is one thing.
Many Caprice owners also doing mechanical, exterior, and interior modifications to their cars.....It's fun.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checking the link posted aboveis probably the most complete list but here are some things off the top of my head.
9C1 -
-Thicker frame
-rearwheel disc brakes
-engine oil cooler
-HD hoses (radiator heater etc.)
-Re-enforced front lower control arms
5/8" ball joints (civies have 9/16)
-Heavier front brake pads
-Body bushings already in place
-PCM programmed for a higher speed limiter(130 as opposed to 108)
-Gear ratio may already be 3.42 (civie is probably 2.56, 2.73, 2.93)
The civie has a nicer interior leather, pwr everything. Most 9C1s are spartan as hell. But if you find a nice 9C1, it is easier to spruce up the interior than to bring a Civie up to 9C1 mech specs. My $.02 worth.
Oh and one othe thing, a nice Caprice will cost between 8 & 10 grand (depending on location) and a 9C1 can be anywhere from 1500 to 5000 bucks.
JP

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent! That's the kind of input I'm looking for. I'm a little unconvinced about price however. Maybe it's just because I'm here in Calif, but even the 9C1's are going to $7K-10K. Does anyone know how hard it is to buy a Texas car (for example) and bring it to Calif?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bassman,
I think that you are seeing the elevated prices in Ca. is because ather than give up their 9C1s, the police opted to refurbish the cars. This included all new front suspension and in many cases new GM crate motors. I believe these were preformed every 80 - 100k miles to the tune of about 12000 bucks. AS far as getting a TX car I would type in ex police cars (or something to that effect) in your browser. There are several places that specialize in this area. May find a diamond in the rough.
JP

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Civie: More creature comfort stuff. Like map lights in the mirrors, power antennas, twilight sentinal, better radio.

92-93 Caprice LTZ are loaded civvie Caprices with all the cop stuff. The real basis for the Impala IMHO.

Rear disks are a 94-96 thing, so don't think it's a fake 9C1 in 91-93.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpalmer:
bassman,
I think that you are seeing the elevated prices in Ca. is because ather than give up their 9C1s, the police opted to refurbish the cars. This included all new front suspension and in many cases new GM crate motors. I believe these were preformed every 80 - 100k miles to the tune of about 12000 bucks. AS far as getting a TX car I would type in ex police cars (or something to that effect) in your browser. There are several places that specialize in this area. May find a diamond in the rough.
JP
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've found a couple in Texas. You think they would know what's required to make it a CA car?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bassman,

I just bought a Texas 9C1, email me direct if you want to know all the details about it. I paid 1000 for a car that drove 2000 miles without a hitch, AND I LOVE IT!

I'll let you know the details and all that if you're interested.

Also, get on the local owners group:
http://www.regionofdoom.com

L8

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lucas:
Bassman,

I just bought a Texas 9C1, email me direct if you want to know all the details about it. I paid 1000 for a car that drove 2000 miles without a hitch, AND I LOVE IT!

I'll let you know the details and all that if you're interested.

Also, get on the local owners group:
http://www.rogionofdoom.com

L8
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watch for email.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by z_bassman:
...I'm a little unconvinced about price however. Maybe it's just because I'm here in Calif, but even the 9C1's are going to $7K-10K...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you buy from an individual, that may be true. Go to the source (auctions), and you'll find that the $1500-$5000 figure is more correct. I've actually rarely seen a 9C1 LT1 top 3 grand at an auction, and those few were particularly nice/low mile cars. I saw a '95 9C1 LT1 go for $2800 a week ago that had 78k miles.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a thought-
Call George Bates Automotive in Upland Ca.
(909)949-7984. He is really helpful and runs the shop that overhauls and restores the COP cars( I saw 15 cars there getting rebuilt). He may be able to keep a look out or be a good source for parts/info.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brandon you got a crown vic lol so sorry could not help myself so what year is it?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daywalker:
Brandon you got a crown vic lol so sorry could not help myself so what year is it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're BOTH 1995s! I'm not driving 'em, so I don't care. My wife's driving one, and I'm cleaning up the other to sell. Well, I actually drove one the other day. The only thing I found that it's got going for it is turning radius. My wife can actually park it! This is merely an experiment to see the public reaction when I try to sell 'em for profit. They're a lot easier to get, and cheaper, too. The nicer one has 109k miles, cold ac, no dents, no spotlight or holes. Got it for $1800. I tried for a couple of 9C1s, but they went for more than I wanted to pay for their condition. See ya at www.crownvic.net! :D
:eek:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Daywalker,
Don't knowck Crown Vic's, they're really nice driving cars.
I drive a Caprice and my wife drives a Bonneville.
We would not buy a Crown Vic for a couple different reasons however the car does handle really well and has good power.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VIN Guy:
...They're (Crown Vics) a lot easier to get, and cheaper, too...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Care to elaborate on that?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The popo bought more clown dicks than caprices, more year models.

Well I am a slacker so I just hit the high parts in this post but one thing I didn't see was that the civi caprices usually have nicer interior than your avg 9C1. 9C1's have ruber floor mats, crappy bucket seats, and usually stink when you buy um. I have just bought 2 9c1's. One I completely redid the interior. She has right at 100k on her, drives like a dream. $5000 will take her home. She needs a little body work but no too much. If you want to drive to SC I can hock you up. Also a 95 completely tricked out for 10k. Any ways If I were you I would look for a civi caprice LTZ model. That's the towing package caprice. LT1, no eletric fans, no rear disks or heavy duty coolers, but usually they have leather seats and a nicer interior. Buy it and drive it. Just my $.02 here. Hope it helps.

Oh yea only 94 to 96 caprices came with the LT1 350 260 hp.
Kevin

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by z_bassman:
Care to elaborate on that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The rear-drive GM's have been out of production since 1996. Ford is still building Crown Vic's - and since police departments all seem to want rear-drive sedans, the Crown Vic is the only option now. The place where I got my '95 9C1 probably has 100 C.V.'s and 10-12 Caprices on his lot..

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeff___H:
The rear-drive GM's have been out of production since 1996. Ford is still building Crown Vic's - and since police departments all seem to want rear-drive sedans, the Crown Vic is the only option now. The place where I got my '95 9C1 probably has 100 C.V.'s and 10-12 Caprices on his lot..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, what he said. ;) The few 9C1s coming out of service bring a premium, because folks at the auctions know they can flip 'em for good $$$, me included. They drive up the price TOO high for it to be worth my time. At the same time, there are a zillion CVs, therefore the price of a comparable year CV is lower. I've seen plenty of '96-97 CVs (before the front and rear end update of the '98-02 or 03s) go for $1600-2800, like a '94 or '95 9C1. Average Joe on the street just sees a big four door people mover, so it's worth the same to him. Or so I hope. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts