Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Curious what differences there are between a Caprice 9C1 and an Impala...sorry if this has been covered before, the search function seems to be down.

I know you can't buy a 1990 Chevy CK1500 and hope it will be as good as a 1990 Chevy 454SS. The SS got so much cool stuff, not to mention the MarkIV BB, but also 12.5 inch brakes, a 10.25 inch rear end, Awesome interior, good radiator, and a bunch of other little things.

Is the Impala the same way in comparison with the Caprice? What exactly came special on the SS that the 9C1 didn't get?

Thanks much!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The SS got nothing more than the 9C1 some emblems, Leather, 17" alloys, Three color choices, and one interior color choice. That stuff plus the higher sticker price....and the benefit of a higher resale price. The 9C1 also got a Trans cooler not on the SS. Not that I dont want a REAL Impala ASAP but...for under $7,000 in total purchase and mod price I have way more than any stock Impala.

For more specific info do a search...this has been discussed MANY MANY times!!

B. Currey

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 9C1 gets
front brake cooling (some forum members went to the ISS front airdams and got better steering feel) and bigger front brake pads and calipers
an oil cooler
a power steering cooler (not very impressive other that the fact that it is there)
Superior radiator (the stock radiator is definitely sufficient, the 9C1 is overkill - w 160 stat, reprogrammed fans, and the 9C1 cooling system, my grlfriend's car occasionally complains of low oil temp in NYC winters)
Silicone coolant hoses (ugly, but will outlast your car)
The ISS is missing a few body-frame mounts
The 9C1 gets taller springs of the same stiffness, and shock absorbers of superior durability www.9c1.com 'll tell you all bout it.
Funtionally speaking, the 9C1 is superior, especially when you factor in the relative cost of a 9C1. However, 9C1 components can be made to fit an ImpalaSS without much headache. One way or another, show respect to the 9C1s ... they are the ImpalaSS's ugly fathers.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>bigger front brake pads and calipers<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By bigger, he means thicker.
Same area, just more pad for longer life. Although with a little extra thickness it might help fade a bit by having more pad to warm up.
Basically the same though.
Later~

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the radiator in the 9C1 is the same as the Impala SS, no difference at all.

Also to clarify on the coolers. Both cars get the same trans cooler, the 9C1 gets an air to oil cooler as well, while the Impala SS gets water to oil. The Impala SS oil cooler is in fact present on the 9C1, its holes are simply blocked off on the side of the radiator.

Also, the Impala SS got a slightly wider rear track (axle flange to axle flange) different dust shields on the front calipers, and as was mentioned before a nicer interior by way of leather seats a console (with a floor shifter in 96).

Also, the LT1 is standard in the Impala SS, optional in the 94-96 9C1, and the same is the case with POSI, standard in the Impala optional in the 9C1.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And don't forget the gears. The SS comes with 3.08 gears while the 9C1 came with 3.23's.

KW

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the 9C1 can have 3.08 geard though they were an option. This might just be heresay but I also think the 9C1 is lighter and I heard somewhere that the frame was thicker.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LT1 9C1s got 3.08s, L99 9C1s got 3.23s.

Also, the radiator IS different (stock to stock) between a 9C1 and SS. The 9C1 radiator does NOT have the tank in it for the oil cooler, and thus is a few inches narrower. This is why, when you install the 9C1 oil cooler in an SS, you have to bend the snot out of the lines to clear the wider SS radiator instead of just "bolting them in" like you would with a 9C1 radiator.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My mistake Ed, thanks for keeping me in check though. I wonder what the plugged up holes on my radiator are for?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice thing about the 94 to 96 Impala ss and 9c1 is that all the OEM and aftermarket performance parts are interchangeable between the two models. Jon Moss and GM built the Impala ss off the 9c1 platform. The Impala ss is just an apperance package from the factory which is very nice and I enjoy. The meat and potatoes with all the mechanical H.D. GM parts installed from the factory is on the 9c1 which can be added to the Impala ss. Here's the hotspot to buy your next 9c1 Lt1. What factory GM color would you like. Shipping available to your home or fly and and drive it home. http://www.keymotorsusa.com John

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The original Impala SS concept car shown at SEMA '93 started life as LO3 (5.0L w/TBI) '92 Caprice Classic LTZ built in Willow Run, Michigan. That's in contrast to all Impala SS' being built in Arlington, Texas with LT1s (5.7L w/SFI). On top of that, it means that the first LT1 Impala was a clone.

The concept Impala SS is still around, but the LT1 has been replaced with a 510 big block. Ed Runnion has some good photos of it here:
Concept Impala SS as seen in September 2000
Concept Impala SS VIN

The Caprice Classic LTZ was top-of-the-line package for '91-'93. The LTZ used the same HD frame as the 9C1, 8.5 ring gear, F41 "sport" suspension (similar but not identical to 9C1), and possibly the quick 12.7:1 ratio steering. The '91-'92 LTZ could only be had with the L03 rated at 170hp. For '93 the 5.7L L05 became an LTZ standard, rated at 190hp. The 9C1s always had the 5.7L as an option.

The LTZ package was discontinued in '94 with the arrival of the Impala SS. For '94-'96 the LTZ package did not exist as whole, but many of the options could be ordered on a regular Caprice.

The Impala SS shares the HD frame with the 9C1 like the LTZ did. The other SS vs. 9C1 differences are listed in the above posts. The 9C1 was designed for the most performance and durability for the price. The Impala SS used unique cosmetics to set it apart from the Caprice, and many 9C1 mechanical components to make it perform. Only the '94-'96 9C1 and Impala SS got the rear discs, no other B/D body even had them as an option. At the risk of over simplifying, the Impala SS is the 9C1 in nicer duds.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brick B-Body:
Only the '94-'96 9C1 and Impala SS got the rear discs, no other B/D body even had them as an option.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Caddy Fleetwoods got rear discs, I forget which years, but it happened.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also Dont forget, Girls dig Impalas, They dont dig caprices.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Also Dont forget, Girls dig Impalas, They dont dig caprices. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very untrue my friend! My grandma loved here 79 caprice classic wagon til the day she died and left it to me!

Dougsster

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah girls do dig impalas over caprices till they see the price difference for a similar car!!!

hehe or atleast my girlfriend did....

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wise_Guy_95:
Also Dont forget, Girls dig Impalas, They dont dig caprices.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point.
However, they also dig Vette's and motorcycles, so I'm covered there.

I am going to get on a Police auction list tomorrow and hopefully go look at some 9C1's sometime soon. I'd rather have a white car anyways.

Thanks for all the replies!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brick B-Body:
...On top of that, it means that the first LT1 Impala was a clone.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's wasn't a clone... how can you clone something that doesn't yet exist?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The myth that the '96 Fleetwoods had rear discs is one that I hadn't even heard of till about six months ago in this forum. How ever it is just that, a myth
. Navy Lifer states it best in this thread : <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I am not looking to create an uproar, and I'm not saying that what Bill (GASSIT 14) has reported is wrong, but the fact is that there were no 4-wheel disc brake D-chassis cars ever produced for public sale. I have a GM D-car parts microfiche, and it's not there. They may exist, but they'd have to be something in the Presidential Limousine program, which we, as mere mortals, will never get to see.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd put the Fleetwood disc myth in the same category as the Impala is a sacred animal one. The origins of both are sketchy, they've been proven wrong, but refuse to die
. Kinda reminds one of Big Sexy's clone :rolleyes:

As for the concept Impala SS being a clone, point taken threeimpalas. My intention was that the Impala SS is not as different from the B-Body line, as say a ZR1 to the L98/LT1 Corvettes, or a Syclone/Typhoon to the Sonoma/Jimmy.

·
Registered
1991 Chevy Caprice 9C1
11 Posts
My '91 9C1 has 3.43 in the rear. Really sturdy car. I want to upgrade the cam tho. Handles very well for being so big and heavy. And all the ladies love it. LoL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts