Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The new 18 x 8 1/2 with +1" rubber sure drives nice. The CTS wheels required spacer adapters of course, and I half expected I'd get at least as much rub on the sway bar as I had on my old FWB running stock SS wheels. But the A-arm grabs the sidewall in back instead of smooth rubbing as on the front on the bar. Search pulls up drilling/tapping the typically bent in existing stops using 1/4-20 adjuster bolt. Any experience with this repair or whether 1/4" is stout enough for the job?

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
That's what I did. They can be adjusted by adding/subtracting washers. How 'bout not cranking on the wheel as it reaches the stops? Eventually,I added increased length wheel studs to use thicker spacers where needed...

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well nearly a year later and finally got her in the air to prep for an upcoming road trip for a slug of things, including renovating those stops:

Current condition of the stops. The car has 80k, but the original blu-hair owner apparently enjoyed pegging it to the locks. But the actual parts look pretty flimsy to begin with considering the size of those rivets:

The good news is the right side only rubs the frame on the front and nothing at the rear:

The bad news is the left hits the bar, a bolt and random weld slag, and even the inner fender in front, and several points in the rear including a little on the lower A-arm as I suspected:

FWIW, Navy Lifer posted on a TSB for an oversized stop, with reported unnecessarily excessive reduction of turning radius. They were $6.38 once upon a time, and show up now on an EU 'American Spare Car Parts' site for 29 EUR each!

I'll have a chance to snap pics as I go showing the 'adjuster bolt mod' ;)

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well That Was A Revolting Development -

I got out in the rain and attempted bending the stop a tad to get a better perch for a drill, and immediately felt the 'pop' that it had cracked. Searching brought up an outfit that fabs a couple styles but nothing close. It looks like the best attack now is drilling out the rivets and building something new out of bar stock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts