Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Seriously, do you expect us to be able to tell with that much of an explaination? How about year, make, model, exactly what noise its making and what you see when you look under the hood.....

jeez...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seriously, do you expect us to be able to tell with that much of an explaination? How about year, make, model, exactly what noise its making and what you see when you look under the hood.....

jeez...
hahaha my bad...
94 caprice - 4.3L

when idling i tested with the a/c off and a/c on
when turned on the compressor spins and sounds kinda like a rattling noise - turn the a/c off the compressor stops spinning and noise stops - when the car is driving it feels as if it shakes the belt....a little...enough for me to feel it.

again sorry for not being clear.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Sounds more like a compressor problem to me, if it goes away when the A/C is turned off. Look under the hood and see if you can visibly see odd movement with A/C on or off.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
If it is a metallic rattling sound, it could be the clutch needs replacing. Mine had bits of metal shaving below the compressor. I changed the clutch - it's doable with a special tool you can rent, but it is a bit of pain.
One thing I wondered after I changed it, there was still a lot of meat to the clutch part I replaced. Does anyone know if maybe the gap could be reset to get rid of this problem?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so the compressor totally seized today and almost caught fire.
i don't know how difficult changing out the compressor will be.
not sure of evacuating the system.

any help/advice you guys can offer would be great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts