Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone confirm my thought that the A/C compressor pulley should rotate very freely when it's not engaged?

I ask because I finished doing a bunch of work, and fired up the car after sitting for about two months.

I heard an unusual noise from up front. I pulled the serpentine belt off, and the alternator, P/S, and tensioner all spin freely with no noise.

I then tried spinning with A/C pulley and it had some drag to it. It didn't spin freely as I would have thought.

So I'm hoping someone may have one on the shelf that can confirm my suspicion that my compressor is on the way out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Yes, as baby wag pointed out, should just spin freely. They do sell a bypass pulley for out cars that could get you by until you get a new compressor.

Damn.....didn't you just replace the compressor and redo your ac system? I need to replace my setup at some point and already picked up a compressor kit from AZ. At least it comes with a lifetime warranty. Doesn't do much to help with the other replacement costs associated with the process to replace the compressor but it helps.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Make sure there is no power going to the clutch when you spin it, just in case. Might be energizing it.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, as baby wag pointed out, should just spin freely. They do sell a bypass pulley for out cars that could get you by until you get a new compressor.
Yeah just as I expected. I went to Scott Williams/HACK's house over the weekend, and verified this with a compressor he had lying around.

Damn.....didn't you just replace the compressor and redo your ac system?
Well not really. After I got my car transported from storage in PA in 06/2016, the compressor bit the bullet(It was in storage for 2 straight years. At the time I couldn't afford to have my Truck on the road at the same time). The guy who transported my car sold me a rebuilt engine from his daughter's wrecked 9C1, and it had all the accessories on it. I installed that compressor in my ride, and it worked fine up until this past weekend.

So this coming weekend I'll be replacing the compressor & accumulator.

I just wish this would have happened before I did all the front end work and header install. Now I have to do this with the limited amount of room the headers provide.

Oh well....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts