Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After blowing my last set of hoses in less than 5 min b/c of my headers, I decided to finally bite the bullet and had a shop fab up a custom line for me.. On my 6th set and hopefully last! All the others either rubbed up against the frame, or eventually melted a hole from heat from headers. No matter how much I bent them out of the way from the control arm and headers, even wrapped in heater hose to protect from frame, my longest set only lasted a year and a half. There’s only so much room between the headers and control arm, especially being lowered only makes it that much harder... anyway this was what I got after 4 hrs and a lot of cursing :) .. Just an idea for anyone else in da same boat. And I know I have to open the lines to remove headers, but honestly I’d rather waste $20 on Freon than have to constantly replace the lines. Plus he put a fitting right after the headers so I can still leave it connected to the compressor if I ever do have to remove headers.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Well with labor and recharge it came out to $250.. but that will vary shop to shop. Well worth it for me after everything I’ve been through

·
Registered
226 Posts
That seems like a very fair price - Keep us posted on how well they work.

Are there any clamps to help keep vibrations from fatiguing the tubes as they come out of the compressor?

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Wow! Just WOW! I never really realized why you LT guys had so much trouble with your AC lines. The picture here showed me. I bet some GM engineer laughed at that. "Lets see them put headers on this". Good fix and I'm sure others will follow suit.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
I will tell you what I did on my vehicle to prefect the rub thru on the control arm. I took a silicone upper radiator hose that had a hole rubbed into if from the sensor and sliced it open and wrapped it around the hose and then wrapped that with heat reflective material and then used some super heavy duty tie wraps and it lasted over 14 years that I still owned the car. One an done on the fix. Just another possible idea for protection for cheap people like me. :)

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
Depends on what headers you run and/or if car is lowered or not.

Mine is stock height/tire with Edelbrock headers and no issue with AC lines. Like 94MSP9C1 I wrapped my AC line with heat wrap, didn't do a split hose under that, and just "bent" the line away from A arm....over 20 years ago. Still no issue. YMMV

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No clamps holding it but they are so stiff, especially around the welds, that it doesn’t really need it... so far so good though. Blowing nice and cold in this LA heat. Here’s an update of me at idle with a warm engine

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
I was actually thinking of doing almost the exact same thing. Right before I popped the head gasket last year, I popped my ac lines. I've also got the cia tri-y's and I do plan to lower the front of the car some. I've got one good hydraulic shop in town that advertises they custom make anything and I know they primarily use made in the USA goodyear hose. I hadn't considered running them up between the primaries though, and I particularly like putting some fittings right there. Only thing I might change is put some header wrap just around the sections near the hoses, or some aluminuminized heat wrap around the lines there, or both. Mine could be complicated though because I put a lot of effort into retaining all the alternator braces, might interfere there, I'll have to take a closer look.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Actually I'm sitting outside with my dog right now enjoying a nice, breezy fall evening so I walked over and popped the hood quick. I think it could work, the alternator bracket appears to be mostly out of the way. My plug wires are in the way though. I could probably rotate #4 out of the way, but with my 24x conversion I ran #2 right up between the primaries, that could be an issue. I'm still debating on running a different intake manifold though, which would require that I relocate my coils to the tops of the valve covers and I could probably account for that when I determine what length plug wire I need there. If nothing else it's something for others to be aware of if they have similar mods.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts