Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just charged my a/c and changed the blower motor because I thought thta it would fix my a/c problem...my ac blows extremely cold but not nearly as hard as it should..it does change speeds so it leads me to believe that it is not the resistor....the autozone associate had a listen and realized that there was air coming from the vent on the dash up by the windshield(alot of it) on max air and still on regular ac...what do I do? I live in Jacksonville,FL just got my SS painted not too long ago and cant drive it in the 110 degree heat index!lol please tell me whatever I need to do is not expensive....

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
If you change to Defrost, vent and heat, does the air flow change accordingly? You probably have either a flapper door stuck open or shut, or a vacuum line for the HVAC that is leaking or loose.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Was that it???

I c\got the SAME THING going on with a 96...???

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked and when I toggle between defrost blower vent and all that nothing changes.....So is it a flat or door?

·
Registered
540 Posts
You should be able to hear slight hissing behind the dash when you turn the selector knob, if not your system is not getting vacuum (and it can't move the flapper doors etc) Check under the passenger side dash for any loose vacuum lines.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Been there done this..

I had this happen to TWO of my 96's on the pass side of the intake (with the homeplate removed) you will see a vacum line that comes out the side with an elbow and a restrictor it connects to a SMALL vacum (plastic) hose the hose runs into the wire loom and into the fire wall. NINE TIMES OUTTA TEN, that hose has gotten hot, brittle and leaks.. The easiest way to test it is to remove the glove box and the cover panel underneath the glove box, and u should see a small rubbery vacum line coming down and connecting to a vacum hose that (plastic) and running into the kick panel or fire wall area... anyway unplug the hard plastic hose and I bet you have ZERO vacum or suction from the hose coming from the kick panel/fire wall.

Run a new vacum line (6 ft) from intake to plug under glove bax and ploar bears will start throwing frozen coca cola atcha!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been there done this..

I had this happen to TWO of my 96's on the pass side of the intake (with the homeplate removed) you will see a vacum line that comes out the side with an elbow and a restrictor it connects to a SMALL vacum (plastic) hose the hose runs into the wire loom and into the fire wall. NINE TIMES OUTTA TEN, that hose has gotten hot, brittle and leaks.. The easiest way to test it is to remove the glove box and the cover panel underneath the glove box, and u should see a small rubbery vacum line coming down and connecting to a vacum hose that (plastic) and running into the kick panel or fire wall area... anyway unplug the hard plastic hose and I bet you have ZERO vacum or suction from the hose coming from the kick panel/fire wall.

Run a new vacum line (6 ft) from intake to plug under glove bax and ploar bears will start throwing frozen coca cola atcha!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is super old but what is that line called? It is definitely broken but can’t tell where exactly it goes.

·
Super Moderator
6,000 Posts
The line comes out of the passenger side of the intake, then goes into the wiring bundle that is held in place by the trans tube bracket. It then passes through the firewall and connects up under the dash by the top of your passenger's foot. If plugging the line in doesn't fix it... buy a long section of rubber hose to test it. Unplug under the dash, then simply run the rubber line off that intake barb out through the passenger window to the port under the dash. Does it work now? If yes, the OEM plastic line is bad. I melted mine on my header. So, I ran the rubber hose, drilled a hole in the firewall, connected it and has worked for 15 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It does seem to be blowing colder now but not harder. I could find the connection point so i just ran it through the brake booster side and connected it that way. Thank you for the reply! Getting my SS back together. I think I may change the temp panel too. Maybe the potentiometer is bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts