Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owner of a 1996 Impala. I did some research on the forum and have a better understanding of the A/C system. My cars A/C was working about a year ago prior to moving to the Mohave Desert. I now have my car parked in my garage and it's driven only twice a month. Well two weeks ago I couldn't take the 115 degree heat and wanted some A/C. The A/C system was turned on and only blew hot air. I went to AutoZone and explained my story to them and they told me just to add R134 to the system. So I followed the instructions and added the R134. Correct me if I'm wrong: The pulley on the compressor is the clutch right? If so, once I added the R134 with the A/C on high, the pulley (clutch) would come on and off and on and off and so forth. Finally my question, I was thinking I needed to add more R134? If that doesn't work, I'm taking it to the professionals. Am I on the right path? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
How much did you add? The amount of charge needed is listed on the sticker on top of the accumulator/dryer (silver canister at passenger side firewall).

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Long story short....You NEED a set of gauges to properly service the A/C system. There is no way to tell if you have the correct amount of refrigerant in the system without them.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
you hear the clutch kicking in and out becuase it's low on freon.

find the leak and fix it. or if you wanna go the cheap route just dump a couple cans in it a year

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will check that out when I get home today. I don't think I added enough and if so I must have a leak most likely. Thanks for the assistance.

How much did you add? The amount of charge needed is listed on the sticker on top of the accumulator/dryer (silver canister at passenger side firewall).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live on a military installation in the middle of nowhere and they have a auto craft shop here so I will check with them for gauges. They have everything you need to service a vehicle. I will see. Thanks.

Long story short....You NEED a set of gauges to properly service the A/C system. There is no way to tell if you have the correct amount of refrigerant in the system without them.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Check your A/C line's that tend to 'ride' on the pass. side upper control arms, that's where mine leaking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts