Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak in my A/C system, not sure if it is the compressor or bad line, I am thinking bad line (they were persuaded for header install, bet I cracked one). I added a can and it pretty much leaked out all over the floor overnight, and the compressor does not come on.

Anyway, thinking of replacing the lines, compressor, and dryer, pretty sure they are all factory age, or never replaced.

Where is a good source to get parts, esp. the lines?

Thanks

·
Registered
976 Posts
I bought all new stuff from rockauto and ebay.
Some of the acdelco stuff was poor quality and returned.

Wound up using UAC lines and condenser, not 100%, but worked fine.
Lines fit fine, added some foil heat tape like OE, and had to bend condenser lines a 'bit to fit properly.
The ACDelco equivalents were crap and got returned. Sad but not even close to worth extra $ vs. UAC parts.

YMMV

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought all new stuff from rockauto and ebay.
Some of the acdelco stuff was poor quality and returned.

Wound up using UAC lines and condenser, not 100%, but worked fine.
Lines fit fine, added some foil heat tape like OE, and had to bend condenser lines a 'bit to fit properly.
The ACDelco equivalents were crap and got returned. Sad but not even close to worth extra $ vs. UAC parts.

YMMV

Thanks for the info, I'll take a look.

Mike

·
Registered
976 Posts
Other option if you have a local outfit that does hoses for a reasonable price is to just get yours redone?

Around here it's ~$50-$70 per hose, so it was lots cheaper to just replace the hose assembly, but probably should have just ponied up the extra $ to redo them.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Agree with getting your hoses re-done locally. Also, do NOT get the AC-Declo condenser. Its garbage

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Just yesterday I had a NEW Delphi compressor and accumulator installed. The shop charged me $255 for the compressor and $25 for the accumulator. My compressor is what leaked and it was the original 20 year old part.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Just yesterday I had a NEW Delphi compressor and accumulator installed. The shop charged me $255 for the compressor and $25 for the accumulator. My compressor is what leaked and it was the original 20 year old part.
Hope it works out for you. The brand new Delphi I bought from jegs.com was bad right out of box. Clutch was defective and didn't show until it was installed. Had to remove it and send it back.
Cost me $32 in refrigerant, and had to pay return shipping.
Real disappointment but seems par for course with made in China crap these days.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Hope it works out for you. The brand new Delphi I bought from jegs.com was bad right out of box. Clutch was defective and didn't show until it was installed. Had to remove it and send it back.
Real disappointment but seems par for course with made in China crap these days.
That's the beauty of paying a shop to do the work, IF the part fails I just drop the car off and let them deal with it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
That's the beauty of paying a shop to do the work, IF the part fails I just drop the car off and let them deal with it.
True, but jegs.com Delphi $169 I bought only had 1yr warranty, @ least it crapped out immediately.
Replacement I bought this round was $226 and is lifetime warranty.
So next time it fails it'll be cheaper lol.

~$350 in parts only original part is evaporator now.
Hopefully won't have to touch it for while.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I buy things like compressors, starters, alternators, waterpumps locally w/ "lifetime" warranties. Pays off when they take a dump.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I buy things like compressors, starters, alternators, waterpumps locally w/ "lifetime" warranties. Pays off when they take a dump.
I was trying to save $ on the compressor, thought Delphi was still good.
I was wrong...wound up costing me $50 a bunch of time wasted.
The $226 "kit" I bought from AZ was a new compressor/drier/orings/orifice/oil package w/ lifetime warranty. Even got a $50 gift card so was pretty cheap overall.

Should have gone that route in 1st place, but oh well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts