Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not belong to many car forums, but I have always wanted to know the answer to this question that would pertain to ANY car with factory A/C. I see so many cars that are quite well restored, some surely having tens of thousands of dollars invested into them. My question: What do so many people not get the factory A/C working? ("just needs a charge", well then CHARGE IT!)

It is not as if they do not have the money, since they may have spent $20-40K on the restoration, what another couple of grand?

And it would certainly be an easier sale. So, why do people stop short when it comes to restoring their factory A/C?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
/usually because they are lying. They think they can pass off the problem to the new buyer. It needs a charge because there is a leak that could be anything from simple to bad compressor seals. I agree with you, if that's "all it needs." let the seller do it. Otherwise, suggest they meet you at a shop and discount the sale price
by the estimated cost to fix it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
AC doesn't really help sell hot rods, so most of the people who build them don't care. I did a 70 Camaro last year that was subject to a BEAUTIFUL restoration, and didn't even have a working heater, let alone AC. I removed the original HVAC system and installed a Vintage Air heater for him so he could drive up the mountains of France without freezing his butt off.

HVAC is one of the most neglected systems I see on custom builds. Some get really nice systems, but most get nothing.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw a beautifully restored 65 GTO, all seemingly vintage correct except wheels and the factory air components were in the trunk. All my cars have been used for grand touring. I have taken just about every car I have ever owned on 1000-4000 mile vacations. To not have A/C is unacceptable. I just don't get doing it all except A/C. It shows me just that "they don't care". And if they don't care about the car they are selling, I am not going to buy it!

Oh and one of the top priorities whenever I restore or refurbish a car is REPLACE THE HEATER CORE. It is SOOOO much easier to do when you have the car apart than after you have finished.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have walked away from many vintage cars for this exact reason. If you don't care enough to restore every detail what else did they skimp out on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts