Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i read through all the write ups and jumped in to do the coolant flush on my 96 yesterday. Everything went pretty well, just a little unclear on the bleeding part. After its up to temp and the car is on the incline, do i bleed the system with the car running or off? I believe i read some stuff to do it while off which i did, but the other write ups don't specify. They just say get up to temp and bleed. Any advice? Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks. I did both and seemed to get all the air out, not as much as i thought.

Anyway, need more help guys. I took the car out today for the first normal ride and about halfway in to it i rolled up to a stop sign in the forest preserves and I smelled coolant:( Took off from the stop and kept an eye on the temp gauge and it was rising fast. Pulled over and had a nice coolant mess GRRRRRRRRRRR. It was puking out from the overflow cap as it was high on the fill level i guess. Let it cool, dad came to help with some tools, and i soaked up some coolant from the overflow to drop the level a good amount. Cleaned up the area, fired it up, and then bled the system a little more and very little air came out. I did this before starting the car after it got hot and it hissed like crazy but i think that was just relieving pressure. You could hear the overflow gurgling like crazy etc. Anyway, drove home the same distance and it stayed totally cool like it should. Is it possible the overfill can cause like a vapor lock or some sort with the cooling system? These closed cooling systems are new to me, but as far as troubleshooting goes the high level is all i could come up with of what happened. Anyone? Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
i do it with the car running so the water pump can push the air out. it should pulse air out until a good pissing of coolent...

·
Registered
731 Posts
OK thanks. I did both and seemed to get all the air out, not as much as i thought.

Anyway, need more help guys. I took the car out today for the first normal ride and about halfway in to it i rolled up to a stop sign in the forest preserves and I smelled coolant:( Took off from the stop and kept an eye on the temp gauge and it was rising fast. Pulled over and had a nice coolant mess GRRRRRRRRRRR. It was puking out from the overflow cap as it was high on the fill level i guess. Let it cool, dad came to help with some tools, and i soaked up some coolant from the overflow to drop the level a good amount. Cleaned up the area, fired it up, and then bled the system a little more and very little air came out. I did this before starting the car after it got hot and it hissed like crazy but i think that was just relieving pressure. You could hear the overflow gurgling like crazy etc. Anyway, drove home the same distance and it stayed totally cool like it should. Is it possible the overfill can cause like a vapor lock or some sort with the cooling system? These closed cooling systems are new to me, but as far as troubleshooting goes the high level is all i could come up with of what happened. Anyone? Thanks
It sounds like it still had a big air pocket inside it somewhere.

It's taken me up to two days to get all the air out of my system in the past.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like it still had a big air pocket inside it somewhere.

It's taken me up to two days to get all the air out of my system in the past.
Ya thats what i was thinking but everytime i bleed the valve running on an incline i get a nice high pressure stream of coolant shooting out. I'm hoping it was just an overfill. I actually probably had the level right where the upper ridge line is on the inner part of the reservoir, while cold. Hell that might be a half gallon over possibly. Could that cause some sort of pressure vapor lock though? It was odd cause once i smelled the coolant and started to watch the gauge you could almost see the needle rising. It happened very fast.

Another question to everyone, what is the advantage(if any) of a closed cooling system? It just seems like more of a bitch than anything etc.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Ya thats what i was thinking but everytime i bleed the valve running on an incline i get a nice high pressure stream of coolant shooting out. I'm hoping it was just an overfill. I actually probably had the level right where the upper ridge line is on the inner part of the reservoir, while cold. Hell that might be a half gallon over possibly. Could that cause some sort of pressure vapor lock though? It was odd cause once i smelled the coolant and started to watch the gauge you could almost see the needle rising. It happened very fast.

Another question to everyone, what is the advantage(if any) of a closed cooling system? It just seems like more of a bitch than anything etc.
half gallon over, thats why it came flowing out the cap....the cap is presurized and if you overfill the pressure is going to give somewhere...

just keep draining it for a few days...i have had this happen took me 4-5 times before i got all the air.

try not to overfill

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
half gallon over, thats why it came flowing out the cap....the cap is presurized and if you overfill the pressure is going to give somewhere...

just keep draining it for a few days...i have had this happen took me 4-5 times before i got all the air.

try not to overfill

Hey thanks, yeah i messed up. That overflow is kinda hard to see fluid through and i saw that the cold fill line was right on the ridge, center of the overflow box. Well i saw that on the the inner part and topped it off to there but noticed now that the ridge on the right side is pitched up. So i must have filled it when cold to the hot mark etc. That would explain why the fluid came out, overfilled of course . I am just wondering if that had the effect of the overheat thing cause of too much in the system maybe causing a lack of flow/vapor lock or something because the system was totally "full" etc. I just drove it for a half hour by my house and had no issues. The temp would go up towards the halfway mark on a couple occasions and the electric fans would kick in bringing it right back down like they should. I also bled it again and got no air, just a solid stream of coolant. Ill do it a couple more times, just hoping the getting hot issue was cause of an overfill etc.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
You may want to replace your cap. You may have the system bled, but the cap isn't holding pressure.

I don't buy that the engine has to be running to bleed. The water pump is built for liquids, it will not pump air, and air will be flushed out of the block by the coolant and head to the highest point in the cooling system. It usually takes several rounds of bleeding, but it all gets there eventually.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, this is eating me up thinking about it lol. So does anyone know if an overfilled system can cause an overheat? I'm hoping that's what happened to me today but i just don't really know much about how these closed systems work and what can happen if something is messed up etc. I am just trying to cancel everything out starting with the simple stuff. If that's not possible, then what do you think, bad thermostat or pump? Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, its been a few days since the overheat incident and the car has acted perfectly since literally right after i had the problems. I'm talking since right after and the ride home after the overheat up until now. Ive bled it several more times(actually got a couple air bubbles one of the times) and have had it driving/idling for a total of about 3 hours with no issues. It runs at 2-3 lines up from the bottom on the gauge and when it hits the middle the fans kick in and bring it down again. I'm starting to think that an air pocket was the culprit. My question now is, could the air pocket kidna purge itself out through the overflow in a boil over case like i had? I just wanna be sure that that air pocket isn't hanging around somewhere else waiting to cause problems etc. Any ideas? All seems well as of now, fingers crossed:)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
It could, but then again, why did GM put the bleeder over there by the water pump? In fact, GM put two bleeders on Camaros and Firebirds.

Back when I used to drive a cab, I remember other drivers 'bleeding their Caprices' [whenever they were sitting around waiting for their next call,] by shutting off their engines and loosening the caps until they just barely hissed. That way they wouldn't have to bring it back to the mech and suffer the downtime. Once was NEVER enough.

Leaving the bleeder closed while refilling the system gives the air no escape, so it hides in the radiator and the heatercore. Leave the bleeder open when replacing coolant, and lots more air will escape the first time.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Hey guys, its been a few days since the overheat incident and the car has acted perfectly since literally right after i had the problems. I'm talking since right after and the ride home after the overheat up until now. Ive bled it several more times(actually got a couple air bubbles one of the times) and have had it driving/idling for a total of about 3 hours with no issues. It runs at 2-3 lines up from the bottom on the gauge and when it hits the middle the fans kick in and bring it down again. I'm starting to think that an air pocket was the culprit. My question now is, could the air pocket kidna purge itself out through the overflow in a boil over case like i had? I just wanna be sure that that air pocket isn't hanging around somewhere else waiting to cause problems etc. Any ideas? All seems well as of now, fingers crossed:)
its pressure, it has to be released some how, something will give...in this case your cap(also pressuized) gave....
glad everything is working

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the heads up guys. Sounds like a good trick to leave the bleeder open on refill. I thought i bled it well but i must have had some sort of air lock/pocket. I'm still shaky on driving the car but the more time it idles and drives it seems to help my confidence. I just hate to break down of course! I just bought this car off of my brother and it only has 19k, 96 model. I was just trying to get everything up to date in the fluids dept and got real upset with what happened with the overheat etc. It was a huge learning experience though. All i have to say though is that i miss open type cooling systems:mad:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
My dad and I had fun this weekend replacing a leaky water pump and flushing out the entire coolant system. We have 5 gallons of brown sludge if anyone is looking for some...

Anyway, we filled the radiator and started running the car waiting for the car to warm up and start cycling and slowly added in coolant until full.

I've been driving it around since and whenever I get back to the house I bleed the system while the car is still warm. I don't believe it matters if the car is on or not. After I bleed it. I let the car cool off then check the tank to see if I need to add more. I'll be repeating this process until I stop getting air when I bleed it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts