Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at a single gauge (oil pressure) pillar mount

I see Autometer has 1,2,3 pod pillar mounts but come black so would need to paint with the SEM "grey" to match interior

Found this "grey" one at Classic Industries

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/am10231.html

EDIT: apparently no longer avail painted grey so it looks like I need this and paint it

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-10234/overview/make/chevrolet/model/impala

anyone running a single pod pillar gauge have a pic??

Looking at this Autometer gauge. Mechanical tube feed

2-1/16" OIL PRESSURE, 0-100 PSI, MECHANICAL, ULTRA-LITE

NTP 1/8" so assume I need a 1/4 to 1/8 NTP adapter to screw into the port above oil filter

I need to wire the gauge light into my headlight wiring somewhere so ideally it comes on when my "sentinel" lights come on. Anyone know which/where that wire may be?

or is there a "electric" signal gauge using a NTP sensor for oil pressure?

I have a tranny temp gauge in my Ford truck that is a NTP sensor in the pressure port of the tranny

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I do not recommend the nylon tubing,at least use copper if not AN-04 hose/fittings. There are electric versions,but I've always preferred mechanical oil pressure gauges. I can see how electric may be easier to install though.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
As accurate as they are, I've never been comfortable with a Mechanical Gauge vs a Electrical Gauge for a few reasons. dont like having to run a tube with oil into the car. With a mechanical Cooling Gauge, the used to or maybe still do, have a huge fitting on the end that you have to feed thru a large hole somewhere. If your fully committed to Mecahnical Oil Gauge, then as 1slow mentioned something other than nylon or I'd ONLY consider something in a Braided/AN setup.

But I would think with today's technology, a Electrical Gauge and its Sensor are pretty "dead on balls accurate". It's so much easier/safer running a few wires over any hose with Hot Fluid. Just MHO :smile2:

Btw - interested in seeing what you come up with and considering adding a couple of gauges myself. Just not sure if I'm going in the dash bezel or A pillar. I have a few extra pillars to work with and may even consider molding my own pods similar to what I've seen done for Tweeters. Lots of info out there on how to do this and refinish the pillar yourself. If your going to add those pods, I think they need to be blended in for a "clean" look.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Love my gauges,and have more on the A-Pillar

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
The "full-sweep" electrics are pricey,but also have a far better display than the more generic "short sweep" style. All mechanical gauges have full sweep faces...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Gauges

I have the full sweep electric gauges in a two pillar pod. Fuel and oil pressure. I checked calibration when they were new, very accurate. they have been there several years. I think they are the Ultra Lite. 2 1/16.
Ken

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have always been hesitant on the pod gauge look. Oil pressure has always been something I would like to monitor vs just testing it with a pigtail mechanical gauge.

I get the nylon tubing is not what I would want and would either go with the copper line version or the braided/AN kit offered...although the braided kit is more than the cost of the mechanical gauge

The electric I see offered by Autometer in the 2 1/6" is $235...so not cheap. It is the "stepper motor" type

I will dig deeper to other gauge options.

Way back when I had Stewart OP gauge and nylon line in my 57

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Btw - interested in seeing what you come up with and considering adding a couple of gauges myself. Just not sure if I'm going in the dash bezel or A pillar. .
I will dig deeper to other gauge options.
Well this thread is doing what I had hoped in getting different opinions/ideas. I am now going electric vs mechanical

This post also brings more "clarity" into the electric type

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/4-interior/1307410-electric-pressure-guages.html#post12033010

Also looking at other gauge brands other than Autometer.

Currently still thinking the single gauge pillar mount but after seeing pics of dash bezel mount I am considering that option also. Maybe even 2 gauges in that scenario

I have always desired a "stock" looking car when ever I did add a mod. The Pillar mount would allow a addition and if I didn't like it I could simply remove it. If I did the dash bezel location I might source another bezel incase I screw up the holes or decide later I want the "stock" look back

I have a T56 so tranny temp is not something I need (although have it on my truck, very important for auto trans IMHO)

Fuel pressure would likely be my 2nd gauge choice over oil temp. I do have a FP gauge on pigtail so can easily check FP if I ever had a issue that may be fuel related.

The Autometer A pillar pod is on its way and I have a can of the SEM "medium grey" paint for it. Will audition the pillar mount before I paint it to see if I like it. Summit is great on returns if I don't like it

Again thanks for the comments and opinions

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
[SNIP]

Fuel pressure would likely be my 2nd gauge choice over oil temp. I do have a FP gauge on pigtail so can easily check FP if I ever had a issue that may be fuel related.
As an FYI, I installed an FP gauge right on the rail under the hood. It's handy, and not something you really need to monitor while you're driving, only if/when you have a problem. I can find the eBay link if you're interested.

The Autometer A pillar pod is on its way and I have a can of the SEM "medium grey" paint for it. Will audition the pillar mount before I paint it to see if I like it. Summit is great on returns if I don't like it

Again thanks for the comments and opinions
I still have yet to install mine. I scratched the pod with ultra-fine scotchbrite, and painted it with SEM light gray over the weekend, but I'm still on the fence about it. I much prefer to be in stealth mode, and not have the pillar pod. I only need to mount the transmission temperature gauge now....

We'll see which way I eventually go.

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
not something you really need to monitor while you're driving, only if/when you have a problem. .
I would argue the driving , WOT - max RPM would be one of the most important times I would want to monitor fuel pressure .

If one was to go with a single gauge, they could mount a second transducer on the fuel rail and have a switch for when they wanted to look at FP.
Also if using a gauge with built in warning lamp, they could also set the warning at just below the set pressure.
This way you could get a warning during a WOT terror ride without stating at the gauge.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As an FYI, I installed an FP gauge right on the rail under the hood. It's handy, and not something you really need to monitor while you're driving, only if/when you have a problem. I can find the eBay link if you're interested.

I still have yet to install mine. I scratched the pod with ultra-fine scotchbrite, and painted it with SEM light gray over the weekend, but I'm still on the fence about it. I much prefer to be in stealth mode, and not have the pillar pod. I only need to mount the transmission temperature gauge now....

We'll see which way I eventually go.
No I am not mounting a FP gauge on the rail. I have one with a short hose I use on other cars I have when I need to check FP

On the Pillar prep I was not going to sand or use scotch brite on it. IDK what "texture" is on it but ideally it matches the stock A pillar

SEM makes a plastic prep # 38353 I would get

I was going to just put the pillar pod on pre-paint/gauge for a week or so to decide how I feel about it "visually".

The gauge I am looking at has about a 2-3 week delivery time anyway

If by the time the gauge gets here I am cool with the pillar mount I will proceed. If I do the dash bezel mount I would likely get another gauge to "balance" the gauge look. On the fence now on what that 2nd gage would be though

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on Pillar gauge

The AutoMeter pod was the only company I found that makes a Pillar pod for the B-Body in 1,2 or 3 gauge configuration. They all attach to your A pillar (not replace the A pillar)using 4 plastic plugs. You need to drill the pod and pillar for the 4 holes. I assume the 2 & 3 gauge pods use more plugs. You also need to drill a hole for the wires to come through for the gauge.

Because of the drill holes I bought a donor A Pillar trim piece (thanks Fred) as I did not want to drill my stock one in case I remove the gauge. Also the AutoMeter pod is black so needed painting. The donor trim piece was from a brown interior B-body and I used SEM # 39133 primer and SEM # 15393 "Medium Grey" as finish coat.

My intention was to not use AutoMeter gauge but use Speed Hut. I thought any 2 1/8" gauge would fit the pod....but no. The pod opening was 2" and the gauge is a interference fit which does not use the normal, included with gauge, hold down. I guess AM wanted to keep the pods as low profile as possible...or maybe so other brand gauges would not fit. There was no edge to dermal off to make the pod hole slightly larger so I was now pushed back to using a AutoMeter gauge. I got their basic electronic OP gauge

I used the 1/4" NPT port above oil filter adapter to plumb in the sender. Pulled +12v from one of the fuses in DS fuse block. Light from the grey wire of interior dash lights so the gauge light comes on with those. Attached sheet metal screw on interior body near parking brake release for ground and ran all wires under dash to A pillar.

Did not go for the higher $ full sweep gauge. This one will do what it needs to do for me. I had not checked OP since I originally fired up the 383 when it was new with a gauge/hose. OP is still the same after 30k+ mi

If I was doing 2 gauges I would have mounted them in the black dash panel below speedo. One on each side and used Speed Hut gauges. Those use a large screw ring that threads over the gauge body to secure them and they do not fit the AutoMeter pod. I think the dash mount would look more "factory".

I am certainly not the first to do pillar gauges. Few pics of what mine look like

Attachments

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Looks nice. Glad to be of service.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Yes, it does look good and turned out well after painting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts