Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... I need some help. I would like to put a system in my car and I have already decided to use Scott's baffle board with 4 Kicker Comp VR subs (free air)

Now I need to know who makes the best 3 or 4 way 6X9 speakers for under the rear window and a set 3 way 6-1/2's for thre front doors. Somebody told me that crossfire amplifiers are good, but if somebody knows better, please let me know.

So please tell me everything that I should get.

Thanxz

Lorna

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm sure the experts will chime in with thier knowledge, but until then, here's my opinion.

Don't put any 6x9's in the back, save the money and get some really good 6.5's and subs. Should make for a nice sound quality, and if the subs are matched with the right amp, it should hit pretty hard too.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Comp VR's aren't free-air. I believe only the Comp C's are.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
some of the best amps are......Zapco, Pheonix gold, PPI, Xtant, Crossfire.

I dont know if I like free air subs or not...gotta here them

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely go with the 6.5" componante rather than 6x9's. Recommend Focal, MB Quart or Polk Audio... You will be much happier int he long run...

T

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I wouldn't put the component speakers in the back. You want coaxials back there if anything.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point Ghost... They are mainly for fill anyway. Definitely want the better units up front... Thanks for the clarification...

T

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Everybody!

Okay, tell me what you think... I dont really like the 6.5" component speakers sets because the tweets are usually crap. I want to get a set of 2-way or 3-way 6.5" for the doors, and then get a set of Kicker Tweeters for high up by the side view mirrors. The kicker tweeters come with titanium domes and have their own crossovers to kill the bass... thats the best way to go as opposed to getting the compnent sets... the thing is, I dont know who makes the best stuff out there. When my brother and I were into stereo stuff we used Polk Audio DB speakers, Kicker Solo Baric 15" subs, and Kicker titanium tweets. Everything was runing on 3 Alpine V12 amps.

I checked out the new Alpine V12 Amps and they dont have the kind of power I'm looking for. I need about 2000 watts into one channel and 2 ohm stable.

Polk Audio doesnt make the "DB" series anymore, they make something called EX, and everyone says they are not as good as the DB's were,

What do you guys think of the Pioneer TSA
3- way speakers? I definitely want to get a set of 6X9's just because I want to replace the rears with something better... , besides, they dried out and the speaker cones disintergrated... yes it gets hotter than hell in Florida...

So, please keep the info coming... I have never heard of MB Quart.. are they really good?

Lorna

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have experience with Infinity Kappa 6X9's or 6.5" ? They make a new 6x9 with some kind of space craft quality speaker cone... I forget he model number..

L

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do not go with the KAPPA'S ...I had them in my sts and they suck.... Try MB quarts,they are much better......

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quarts, Bostons, Diamonds, will all do you just fine Miss J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kappas are pretty good what are you talking about, just make sure that you get the 3 ways their is a diffrencce their.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the 6.5 RSC seperate's and ND22's from kicker rather than there component's because of the tweeters came with there own crossover and I already had a cross over for every thing else and that helps alot with music that has a lot of bass. If you want to have better sound than Kicker the MB Quarts are a very good choice and get the component's so you get a cross over unless you already have one.
Just my .02

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
as far as 6x9's go, i like the fosgate hpc series. the 6.5's are also very good. the 6x9 handle 100rms each, the 6.5 75 rms each. you should be able to get both pairs for less than 200. mb quarts are amazing, but expensive. a compponent set actually usually comes with the same tweeters the ,manufacturer sales separately so they are not really crap. pioneer speakers are pretty crappy imho.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sniper:
I have the 6.5 RSC seperate's and ND22's from kicker rather than there component's because of the tweeters came with there own crossover and I already had a cross over for every thing else and that helps alot with music that has a lot of bass. If you want to have better sound than Kicker the MB Quarts are a very good choice and get the component's so you get a cross over unless you already have one.
Just my .02
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Snipe.. what are RSC?

Getting seperate tweets with crossovers is definitely the way to go, or get the components only if the tweets have seperate crossovers.

MB Quart makes alot of speakers. which ones are you guys talking about? The Premium's?

Lorna make sure you get a good head unit and good amps. You want something thats going to give you a nice CLEAN sound. The Alpine V series amps are EXCELLENT... but, I dont know if you can get one that can push 4 subs.. you might have to get 2 amps (2 subs per amp) They will cost you though. Everything is gold plated inside (capaciter terminals and connections)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys... I really appreciate the info... It looks the MB Quarts are really good speakers.

Have you guys ever heard of Memphis Amplifiers? There is a local speed shop near me that sells Memphis amplifiers and this sales guy claims they are the best... but it just happens to be the only high powered amp he carries. They have this one called the Memphis Mojo and he said this amp will blow me away. It puts out 2600 watts at 2 ohm load, 1 channel :eek:. Eveything inside is supposed to have gold plates. It also has a lifetime warranty and will play all day at the 2 ohm load! What do you guys think? I am actually interested in the Crossfire Amps because a guy I know said that he has used them and they are pretty good. I want to use just one amp for the 4 subs. And I will get a second amp for the other speakers.

Thanks everyone

Lorna

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Iron SS, that was a typing error. I ment R6c

As far as the Memphis amps go there good because I think they are all class D amps. Class D amps are digital so one can't really go wrong there. If you want a great amp then see if you can get a MMATS amp. These amps have tons of power.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am no audiophile like some of you ,but I went with all JL Audio from 6.5`s glassed in the rear deck with the 12" subs also; to the amps.It is only 800 watts ,so it might not be enough for you .Maybe my pics will give you some ideas .Good Luck

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Miss Jackson:
Thanks guys... I really appreciate the info... It looks the MB Quarts are really good speakers.

Have you guys ever heard of Memphis Amplifiers? There is a local speed shop near me that sells Memphis amplifiers and this sales guy claims they are the best... but it just happens to be the only high powered amp he carries. They have this one called the Memphis Mojo and he said this amp will blow me away. It puts out 2600 watts at 2 ohm load, 1 channel :eek: . Eveything inside is supposed to have gold plates. It also has a lifetime warranty and will play all day at the 2 ohm load! What do you guys think? I am actually interested in the Crossfire Amps because a guy I know said that he has used them and they are pretty good. I want to use just one amp for the 4 subs. And I will get a second amp for the other speakers.

Thanks everyone

Lorna
I dont know about those Mojo's. The best thing about Memphis Audio amps is that they actually deliver the STATED power output...unlike the Rockford Fosgate amps... not only that, but the fosgates will cut out on you if you try and run them all day...oh, and forget about 2 ohm loads!

The thing about the memphis amps that I dont really care for is the price. All of the Memphis amps are Class D, but there are alot of class D amps out there so they shouldnt be priced so high. Lorna, the Mojo amp you are talking about goes for about $1200 to $1500 dollars... any good digital (Class D) amplifier will get you the clean power your looking for. You can go with a Hurcules or the Kicker 1200.1... very hot amps

Superfly

1 - 20 of 26 Posts