Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got a replacement hood for my caprice and will be doing the simple prep work for my local Maaco (they did a really good job on my dads 73 Electra so I think my local Maaco is a "good one") so I sanded it down really good and took off the chevy thing and bondo the hole, but what brand primer should I use that comes in a spray can? Gray or black or yellow? Also its going to be sprayed white... Sry if a dumb question, I just dont know anything about primer or spraying a hood myself...

Would this be fine? Thx http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1PTF3?cm_mmc=Google Base-_-Painting-_-Paints-_-1PTF3

· Registered
180 Posts
if you ( and I hope you did) sand down to the bare metal.

you will need etching primer to cover any bare metal. this can go over your bondo too.

you may also need a high build primer.

this primer is used to fill in your minor imperfections left on your bondo work. it is not ment to be used to fill in 80 grit sand paper scraches. 180 grit scratch will be pushing it. A 2k primer may do it but I dont think they sell that stuff in a can. make sure you finish your bondo work with 220 grit paper.

their are primers for speficic use in automotive, the link you posted is for general use. you may want to use primer for your job not something that is ment for general use.

high build primer
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sem42023.html

self-etching primer
http://www.drillspot.com/products/316236/Dupli-Color_DPP101_Self_Etching_Primer

· Registered
137 Posts
I dont know much but what I do know is you dont have to sand a new replacement hood down to bare metal!
You dont have to do much to the E-coat (black coating)that comes on it other than scuff it well and make sure it is clean.
You can do that with a red 3m scuff pad.
That coating is on there to help prevent rust and you only open it up by sanding to bare metal!
After scuffing the hood I have had real good luck with K38(PPG) spraying 2 or 3 coats then wet sanding.
If you dont have a spray gun goto a paint store and buy spray cans of a good primer.It will cost more but that other primer you listed is not really made for underneath automotive paints.

· Registered
640 Posts
If you are going to have it painted white, use the lightest color primer available. In your case the grey primer should be OK if you can't find any spraycan white primer.

· Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know much but what I do know is you dont have to sand a new replacement hood down to bare metal!
You dont have to do much to the E-coat (black coating)that comes on it other than scuff it well and make sure it is clean.
You can do that with a red 3m scuff pad.
That coating is on there to help prevent rust and you only open it up by sanding to bare metal!
After scuffing the hood I have had real good luck with K38(PPG) spraying 2 or 3 coats then wet sanding.
If you dont have a spray gun goto a paint store and buy spray cans of a good primer.It will cost more but that other primer you listed is not really made for underneath automotive paints.
Ok cool thanks, Yeah Dont think im going all the way to bare metal, I have it really smooth and looking good, couple spots show the Ecoat and I think its ready for primer.. Thx for the responses

· Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plugging a hood ornament hole with bondo does not sound like a good idea to me.
Evercoat would probably work better.

Seriously. A proper shaving process would be ideal.
Whats so bad about bondo? sry I dont know alot about other products/ hardly anything about bondo lol....Do you think it will be that bad?? Should I re-Do it?

· Registered
285 Posts
Here's what I'm saying: shaving a hood ornament with only body filler (Bondo, if you will) will not last, as the filler will only bond to a small amount of metal and itself... It will most likely end up cracking from flexing and shock.

If you welded a small circle patch in the ornament hole, then filled, primed, and painted it, by gum it would last.

· Premium Member
852 Posts
EDIT: Looks like dope92cc posted while my interweb connection was taking a nap. So, yeah, what he said...

Whats so bad about bondo?
It's used for leveling an uneven surface, not for filling big holes. It will eventually crack, making your new paint look like ass.

Should I re-Do it?
Unless you want your new paint to look like ass, yes.

Maybe you can find someone to weld in a little patch for cheap. It's really the best way.

· Registered
1,477 Posts
If you bondo the hood hole in a short time it will fall out, Find someone to weld a small circle plate under it for you then bondo away . If the hood is a new aftermarket hood just scuff it with a red scuff pad. There is really no need to do any more if you are getting it painted right away. Sem makes a pretty good spray can primer. I noticed a lot of maccos use different paints than others. My local one uses ppg .

· Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EDIT: Looks like dope92cc posted while my interweb connection was taking a nap. So, yeah, what he said...

It's used for leveling an uneven surface, not for filling big holes. It will eventually crack, making your new paint look like ass.

Unless you want your new paint to look like ass, yes.

Maybe you can find someone to weld in a little patch for cheap. It's really the best way.

Thanks alot, looks like I will be re doing it... Glad I asked now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.