Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to purchase a probend competition bandpass box with two 12's- jl audio w3
its used owner says its good though
comes with a pioneer 760 watt amp

so my questions are
is the bandpass box any good
and would 760 watt amp be enough

and does anybody have jl audio w3s

alotta rookie questions I know very little about car audio sorry

heres a pic of the set up

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the newer w3s/w6/w7 came out in 2012? or..

yea there the old ones said he bought it from another person way back
pretty sure there the older edition ones.

hes asking 260

but I have not bought them yet found a ton of pretty good deals on clist.

also if anybody is in the dmv area/ northern virginia selling any car audio
stuff need subs/amp/head unit and some wire.

anyway I like this set up cause its in a bandpass box and will save me time having to build my own custom one.
Ive heard mixed reviews about bandpass only problem is I dont know and he doesn't either know if its built to jl audios specs/ recommedations.

I understand the box is critical to what the output is going to be.

like I said I dont know much about car audio except the lil basics

I do know jl audio makes quality stuff.
if I dont go with jl audio then its going to be alpine type r

·
Registered
663 Posts
I mean If you're happy with the price and with the setup go for it. I personally wouldn't.

I have no experience with bandpass but what I can tell you about the box is that it's a prefabbed box you buy and add your own subs

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you wouldnt?

oh **** now I am sketchy about buying it lol

have you ever had any jl audio set ups?
cause there is another deal for a jl 10w3v2-d4
in a sealed box for 80 bucks I might go with.

and just add another 10 later on.

grampas whats your thoughts on sealed boxes opposed to bandpass/ ported etc.

·
Registered
158 Posts
IMO i'd avoid that too. The prefab bandpass box looks crummy and the deal isn't too good. Whats your budget ? I'd suggest 100% ported unless you don't have the room "i mean we all have caprice/impala ss right ? :D".

·
Registered
663 Posts
yeah i currently have a jl 13w6 on a jl 500/1 and a jl 300/4 powering my cabin speakers.

i used to have a single 13w3 on a jl 250/1 in a ported box built to spec and was happy with it, then i eventually wanted more.

when it comes to ported vs sealed... thats a whole subject that you have to tackle on your own as far as what your goals are in your system. ive gone ported with every system ive had.

i recently built identical woofer setups for my girlfriend and sister because they both have newer nissan altimas and wanted a decent setup for a decent price. this is what i made them.

sundown audio e-12d4 $109 free shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-12D4-SUNDOWN-AUDIO-12-SUB-DUAL-4-OHM-E-SERIES-800-W-BASS-SUBWOOFER-E12D4-NEW-/110822766591?pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item19cd8d37ff&vxp=mtr

orion CO8001 800w amp http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Orion-CO8001-Cobalt-Series-800-Watt-2-Ohm-Stable-Car-Amplifier-w-Crossover-/330865668793?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item4d092172b9

i then entered the dimensions i had to work with in RE's box calculator and made a box tuned to 33hz http://www.reaudio.com/box.php

·
Registered
663 Posts
audio is something that you have to do research on imo. theres so many brands, models, sizes, etc etc for everything out there. when i first got into it i heard nothing but praise about JL (other than the fact that they're over priced i know) so i went with them

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMO i'd avoid that too. The prefab bandpass box looks crummy and the deal isn't too good. Whats your budget ? I'd suggest 100% ported unless you don't have the room "i mean we all have caprice/impala ss right ? :D".
yea a 1996 impala.

was going to go with a two tens setup keep spare.

but just gonna add towing etc to insurance so I can have something if I get a flat so.. anything really two tens or two 12s/

trying to stay under 500 for subs and amp I know not a big budget so cant expect top notch/ brand new stuff hence why im buying used stuff trying to catch a good deal.

as far as ported that is what I was originally going to do just get the subs and make my own box just dont have the tools and area to work (live in condo)to do it on side.

could do it at work. I work underneath a bunch of civil and electrical engineers as a technician at a federal highway lab testing concrete and steel for bridges and similar structures. and im constantly building boxes for pours lol.... probably can come up with something crazy but work and new baby leaves extra time to a minimum

all in all what im looking for is something with some bass but hard clear bass not something that just drowns out the vocals and treble etc but also thumps

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i currently have a jl 13w6 on a jl 500/1 and a jl 300/4 powering my cabin speakers.

i used to have a single 13w3 on a jl 250/1 in a ported box built to spec and was happy with it, then i eventually wanted more.

when it comes to ported vs sealed... thats a whole subject that you have to tackle on your own as far as what your goals are in your system. ive gone ported with every system ive had.

i recently built identical woofer setups for my girlfriend and sister because they both have newer nissan altimas and wanted a decent setup for a decent price. this is what i made them.

sundown audio e-12d4 $109 free shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-12D4-SUNDOWN-AUDIO-12-SUB-DUAL-4-OHM-E-SERIES-800-W-BASS-SUBWOOFER-E12D4-NEW-/110822766591?pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item19cd8d37ff&vxp=mtr

orion CO8001 800w amp http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Orion-CO8001-Cobalt-Series-800-Watt-2-Ohm-Stable-Car-Amplifier-w-Crossover-/330865668793?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item4d092172b9

i then entered the dimensions i had to work with in RE's box calculator and made a box tuned to 33hz http://www.reaudio.com/box.php
thanks man for all the info especially the re site
I think im gonna lean towards making my own box eventually.

gonna start my setup with the big three and work my way back ill keep this thread updated as far as what I decide

once again thanks for taking the time to help a rookie :)

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I mean... if your interested, I'm selling my subs and amp.

2 kicker cvx 12"s dual 4
and an audiopipe 1800d.

you could always get this box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-96-Caprice-Subwoofer-Sub-Box-Enclosure-2-12-9C1-/380152413968?pt=US_Speaker_Sub_Enclosures&hash=item5882d97f10

thats a nice box but 155 cwm3
would take you up on that offer but you would have to ship it and that ****s pretty heavy wont be cheap.

what are u asking btw.

trying to get jl audio w3's or w6s or alpine type r's just based upon reviews and actually hearing them though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
thats a nice box but 155 cwm3
would take you up on that offer but you would have to ship it and that ****s pretty heavy wont be cheap.

what are u asking btw.

trying to get jl audio w3's or w6s or alpine type r's just based upon reviews and actually hearing them though.

out of those 3, the type R's are really good for the bang/buck ratio.

and.. $350+ship on all of it. I'd assume it would be around $50-$70 for shipping it all.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
As stated earlier those W3s are hella old I've ran JL audio woofers in most of my rides. I got turned off when the starting falling apart after about 4 or 5 years of having them. They weren't heavily abused either. I've never been a fan of prefab boxes either.

I ended up going with some RE Audios. They're fine for what I want or need. Here are some pics of the music in some of my rides (some of which I've since sold). The SS, dually, and my silverado have different setups.

I guess it depends on how much power you want as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
out of those 3, the type R's are really good for the bang/buck ratio.

and.. $350+ship on all of it. I'd assume it would be around $50-$70 for shipping it all.

appreciate the offer man but trying to buy locally so I can hook them up and test them real quick and also get a feel on how much space they will take up. not to say that you would send me a box of bricks though lol

what else you got for sale.

Im looking into some type r's there is a few I seen posted waiting on responses.

so old w3's no go..

w6's are solid though

was looking at new w7's 800-1100... wow

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As stated earlier those W3s are hella old I've ran JL audio woofers in most of my rides. I got turned off when the starting falling apart after about 4 or 5 years of having them. They weren't heavily abused either. I've never been a fan of prefab boxes either.

I ended up going with some RE Audios. They're fine for what I want or need. Here are some pics of the music in some of my rides (some of which I've since sold). The SS, dually, and my silverado have different setups.

I guess it depends on how much power you want as well.

damn thats what im talking about. looks like you know what your doing man nice work.

like I said im trying to buy locally if I can didn't see any sundown or re audio
just alotta mtx stuff terminator/ jackhammer and some rockford fosgate stuff
use to have 3 12' orion hp they were nice

had mtx subs as well maybe I didn't have them set tuned etc right but they were some **** imo not clear at all.

so with my budget 500-600 for subs and amp
what would you guys go with might just buy some stuff from sonicelectronix instead of used ****.

like I said looking for clear sound with some bass as the majority of the music I listen to is hiphop and all types of rock from
disturbed, korn, drowning pool, to the older stuff black sabbath the eagles, lynard skynard, zeppelin and so on
and on the days I feel like rolling real gangster like some j beiber:D

·
Registered
158 Posts
deal isn't that great.. and im not sure but those might be kicker comps "which is a lower line" but not 100% sure. If i remember correctly the cvr's take 400w each and no idea where he came with the number 1600w's since the amp pushes out [email protected]

·
Registered
158 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts