Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having abs problems for a while now finaly broke down a bought a snap on scan tool. Brakes feel like they want to go to the floor right now and i'm gettin a code 83. Has plenty of brake fluid thou all advice welcome thanks

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
If you have no external leakage then my guess is the master cylinder is leaking internally. Also possible the ABS pump is failing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's the abs pump, cause the brakes where almost at the floor then after I restarted the car abs light was off and the brake ped was fine. Also i just bought a new master from napa and it still does it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Brakes

If you replaced the MC, you may have air in the ABS lines/pump. To eliminate the air you
will need to cycle the ABS while bleeding the brakes. A Tech II scanner will do this. Other scan tools may work too. The FSM has explains the procedure in more detail. FWIW the
relays in the ABS pump occasionally fail but the actual pump almost never fails.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will the tech II work on a 94 fleetwood or is it just an obd II scanner

·
Registered
833 Posts
Scanner

I believe a Tech II is backwards compatible to OBDI cars, but most enhanced scanners will read the brake codes. Find out what the code points too before you start replacing parts.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i keep getting a 83 code and now the brakes are starting to lock again like they did a few months ago. Baiscally a few months a go the brakes would lock but after sitting for a while it would unlock and be good while driving. i had already planned on replacing calipers, hose, on the front so i did that bleed the system and i was still having the same problem. gotta new master and still the same thing, everything on the back has been replaced except the hoses. New shoe, wheel cylinders and hardware and i'm still gettin the same problem. System has been bleed serveral times but bleeding the system only seems to make the problem go away for a few days. I even think the brakes may have been lockin slightly when I purchased the car 3 years ago seeing how on the day i took it home the right front brake caliper was smoking when i stopped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts