Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 94 Caprice 9C1

Several months ago my brakes began acting funny. Within 5 minutes of any given trip, firm braking results in a rumbling sound and they seem to slip a little. At this time, the ABS light goes on and *stays* on.

Being a college student with NO MONEY, I had to take the passive position - if the car is still stopping, then it's okay to drive until I can afford the servicing..

Today, I brought my car into a Chevy dealership and told them what I just told this forum. Their diagnosis verbatim from the printout:

"DTC 55 REAR VALVE MALFUNCTION; DIAG WIRING DAMAGE; REPLACED WIRING."

Now I have the car back and all the same symptoms persist except for the ABS light. That's gone. The REALLY odd thing now is that my windshield wiper fluid light is on. (It was't before I dropped it off. Tank is close to full).

Is there a possibility that the wiring was done wrong? Maybe the ABS system is now sending the wrong voltage to the light panel and is showing as wiper fluid?? I'm more of a PC guy than a car guy... any help is very much appreciated!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you unhook the washer fluid connector from the reservoir the dash light should go out if the wiring is correct. It is possible that when they were looking at the ABS (same neighborhood as washer fluid) they might have knocked the low fluid switch a little and the washer fluid drained out (wild guess - ive done this before). Anyway have you at least checked the fluid level and the connector?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have checked the fluid level - it's not any different than when I left it at the dealer (nearly full). The switch puzzles me somewhat..

it seems there is a sensor in the bottom of the basin, right? Then there's a cylinder attached to it by two wires outside of the basin. Coming from the middle of this cylinder is a wire leading back to a box near the firewall. At the top of this cylinder is two wires attached with a clip.

I could easily remove this clip and the light did not go off. But I can't say anything about the wire coming from the middle of this cylider thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the best thing to do is go back to the shop, and tell them what's going on. Enforce this with the fact that they didn't fix the ABS problem, and that is what they billed you for. While there, you might want to ask them why they didn't take a quick test drive to see the problem first hand, and to verify that they fixed it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*update*

I did just that and they admitted they must have knocked the base of the wiper fluid sensor off a little. I didn't catch it because it was barely off at the very bottom.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are in doubt, ask them to show you what they did. Unlike doctors, we get paid to fix a problem not work on it!! If all they did is make the light go out and you are still having problems the problem is not fixed, just merely addressed. I feel very strongly about this 'cause, well, we are expected to be the best not the rest. (I certainly mean no offense to all the independent techs out their-many of you know more than us...)

That being said... When the ABS activates on hard braking, do you hear the rumbling noise from the front or rear? Have you had you rear brakes checked lately? More times than not, either the axle seal(s) and/or wheel cylinder(s) leak onto the shoes and will cause a lock-up condition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.