Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, this is my first post :cool:
So anyhow, i bought my Impala last week with only 62k miles on da clock. The car is runing smoothly with out a problem.
Yesterday i went out and replaced the tires, after going out and driving for like 20 minutes the ABS light came off. I put 235/45/17 up front, could be a problem? Rears are 255/50/17.
Help me plz, i still didnt enjoy the car and this is happening to me :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Need same diameter tires all around. You have 25.3" tires in front and 27.0" in back. The system will allow SOME slop in diameter difference, but not that much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
Need same diameter tires all around. You have 25.3" tires in front and 27.0" in back. The system will allow SOME slop in diameter difference, but not that much.
Hi there,
So u r saying changing the front tires to stock, arent u? When i Start the car and go driving the ABS works :D GREAT without a problem, but then again 10 mins later :( and it came off and the tires start slipping.
Help plz, i dont wanna go to the stealer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are not limited to stock, or any other size, at least as far as the ABS cares. But, you have to have the same rolling dia. on all corners for the ABS to function.

Tire charts in TireRack give these specs for all the major brands. For example, 275/40 and 315/35 are nowhere close to the same size, but they happen to both be 25.7" diameter, which makes them a popular selection for widened rears.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by 96 Black:
You are not limited to stock, or any other size, at least as far as the ABS cares. But, you have to have the same rolling dia. on all corners for the ABS to function.

Tire charts in TireRack give these specs for all the major brands. For example, 275/40 and 315/35 are nowhere close to the same size, but they happen to both be 25.7" diameter, which makes them a popular selection for widened rears.
[/QUOT]

Hi there and thanks for responding.
So the tires is the problem, am i right?
Thanks for any help!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still have yet to see the ABS light come on my RM when I run my 25.7" tall Nittos in the back and my 28" tall stock tires in the front. Maybe mine is stupid??

Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
System is more tolerant of "bigger front, smaller back" than vice versa (zeebo's case here).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Buffman:
.... Maybe mine is stupid??
Yes ;) .............

Zeebo,

Yes. Your tire diameter is the problem. You'll want to chaige EITHER the fronts or the rears so that you have close to the same diameter tires on the front axle as on the rear axle.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
System is more tolerant of "bigger front, smaller back" than vice versa (zeebo's case here).
okay now I understand. before everyone made it seem like the ABS light was always going to come on if there was a big difference in tire height no matter if it was short up front and tall out back and vice versa.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to let you all know that my problem was solved after replacing those tires.
Thanks everyone for your inputs!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.