Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where this should go, but figure the maintenance forum would have the most eyes on it.

Our 96 has a new issue, and I want to nip it in the bud in case it's a problem that'll get worse. When driving down the road, if I hit a small pot hole, or rough patch in the pavement, the ABS light will come on. It _seems_ like it comes on with either front wheel hitting the pot hole, but I'm open to all potential problems. The light goes off with the next restart, and will stay off until the next pot hole, but is there anything I can look for to try to prevent this from reoccuring? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
prolly a wheel speed sensor problem

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@cletus: Thanks. I'll pull codes and see what it may be. I'm getting tired of seeing that ABS light on.

@Imported: That's what I'm thinking, especially if I get the light at the slightest bump in the road now. Looking at some of the pics that's in the link Cletus provided, I'm thinking dirt buildup. I hope it's just a buildup. I'm getting tired of buying parts for these b-bodies.

Thanks all. I'll updated as news comes in.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Check front wheel bearing torque. push in on the wheel speed sensor to tighten the air gap up a little bit. Id bet the sensor tone ring on the rotor has turned into a pile of rust or is covered in road debris. If there is buildup on the tone ring "teeth" the rotor can be cleaned but if it is rust scale, then it should berenewed. Cleaning scale off only makes the "teeth" smaller and more prone to triggering a wheel speed fault code.

Chris

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the front end is next on the list to look at on this car. It's a recent acquisition with a lot of miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts