Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone. I am ordering some parts and am purchasing, two front, left and right speed sensors which are attached to the cable. Mine were cut by my large wheels doing u turns. My ABS light is on and I would like to repair this back to stock and put the light to the “off” “not seen” status.

When I put the left and right sensors in the cart on rock auto, I notice a speed sensor seal? Where does this seal go? Is this the little rubber o ring that is on my vehicle as we speak getting fresh air on my frame in the wheel house? I’m just asking if such a seal would be needed between the sensor itself and the brake assembly as a whole? FSM states no “seal” in the itemized photo 5e-154 figure 5. Is there any resetting the pcm when I plug theses sensors in? Maybe disconnect the battery, install, and reconnect and it shuts the dash light off providing nothing else is a matter? Am I wasting my money? And importantly? How often do ABS lights come on with the sensors intact on these vehicles? Are the chances high that I install these sensors/cables and the light stays on. Thanks. DGGM 95, 135k.
36CC729A-D16D-4277-9E8D-66AD84818B9F.jpeg
35488004-9B23-4105-8067-ECF4B0DA0C1D.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
Pretty sure that is the sensor oring for the vehicle speed sensor in the transmission.

"there any resetting the pcm when I plug theses sensors in?'
There is no connection between the PCM and the ABS system.
The ABS system is stand alone.
If it all worked before you ripped out the wires,should work again when you fix it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure that is the sensor oring for the vehicle speed sensor in the transmission.

"there any resetting the pcm when I plug theses sensors in?'
There is no connection between the PCM and the ABS system.
The ABS system is stand alone.
If it all worked before you ripped out the wires,should work again when you fix it.
Thanks for the reply. Here is a photo of my existing “other end” of the cable. The photo shows an o ring as I was trying to explain previous post. Rockauto recommended this. The photo looks like the o ring is big for another spot. I thought maybe it goes between the sensor and the wheel assembly. I’ll just spend the dollar something and put them in wherever they go. I’m guessing they go on the pic I provided of my front right wheel bay...... that little nub on the connector is a piece of rubber hose I put there for protecting it. The other one must of fell off. I can’t remember if my abs light was on when I purchased the vehicle. I know One was damaged a little, then I maybe got the light in the dash, then discovered my wheel cutting it, then I clipped them both off to just replace both in future. I’m thinking my dash ABS light wasn’t on when I bought it. It’s been almost 10 years. Also, I kind of figure like you said, “if it worked before the cables got thrashed and removed, it should work” unless something aged itself and went south within this whole timeframe.
451DA47B-69B3-4AC7-BE5A-CA283003697B.jpeg

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the GM description of that part number 15552872 is Seal, speedometer driven gear.
If the illustration is accurate it does not look like this seal I have here View attachment 191866 View attachment 191867
I believe you are correct. I do know the FSM says that the rear speed sensor is in the rear drive line area. And, it’s one sensor, If I’m correct. I don’t know why Rockauto suggested the seal twice in my Cart when I was checking out. I should have left them behind as I have an O ring box kitassortment in the Garage. Maybe if it’s easy, I’ll install the seal in the rear when ai get to it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
A tip for getting the old ones out. Probably quickest to not bother fussing with it from the back and just jump right to it of removing the caliper and rotor so you can beat it out. I think I used like a 10mm deep socket as the punch.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A tip for getting the old ones out. Probably quickest to not bother fussing with it from the back and just jump right to it of removing the caliper and rotor so you can beat it out. I think I used like a 10mm deep socket as the punch.
Thanks for the reply. That bad huh? Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
The yellow connector on the wheelhouses will probably self destruct when you take them apart. You can get a pigtail for the wire, and solder/crimp it to the wire. If you have not removed your sensors yet, you may be able to get a pigtail for both ends, and solder/crimp the wheel end in, leaving you extra length to get it away from the offending wheels.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The yellow connector on the wheelhouses will probably self destruct when you take them apart. You can get a pigtail for the wire, and solder/crimp it to the wire. If you have not removed your sensors yet, you may be able to get a pigtail for both ends, and solder/crimp the wheel end in, leaving you extra length to get it away from the offending wheels.
I sure hope none of that department falls apart. Remind me of door panels. Nightmare. Still can’t believe how delicate that plastic is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts