Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

ABS light on after suspension upgrade

413 views 10 replies 0 participants last post by  SAImpala SS 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys, Question,
I just finished putting on new lower and upper ball joints, A-arm
bushings. After re-assemble my ABS light is now on on the dash.
When I took the passenger side ABS sensor off it was very stuck and
hard to get out of its hole. I knocked it out with a small socket
and hammer. It is still intact, but my ABS dash light is now on. Could I
have damged the ABS sensor? If so, hoe can I fix it or other ideas?

If it is the ABS sensor. Can I just purchase another sensor and wire it in?
Thanks.
SA.

G
#3 ·
Thnaks Ed,
I'll order, I guess two of them, one for each side. I do not know which might be faulty.

Is this ABS sensor just as simple as cut the wires, and re-wire and replace with a new ones?

Thanks again.
Stephen
GASSIT #27

G
#4 ·
New sensor should come with harness, do not ever cut sensor wires! Youll have to trace to where it plugs into rest of car, usually around the frame.

Also if you were to check the ABS blink codes you would be able to pin it down to which individual sensor is bad if that was the case.

G
#6 ·
Hmm, checking the FSM doesnt show blink code procedure at least for 96s. Which is strange as I have pulled codes before out of other similar GM ABS systems. I will do some research tonite at work and check my FSMs I have there.

G
#8 ·
If you follow the wire from the sensor you will find a connector clipped to the frame, it just unplugs.
I made the same mistake once when I was changing spindles, then I ordered new sensors and saw that they had a connector.
If I ever remove a spindle again I will just unplug the sensor and leave it in.
I completely destroyed a sensor when I tried to remove it, I swear it was epoxied in.
I honed out the hole for the sensor so it was an easy slip fit for the new ones.
Rich

G
#9 ·
Thanks for the comments. I think after reading these my sensor is probably bad now that I forced it out with a small socket. It did not want to come out. I'll call Dal tomorrow. Thanks again.

In the mountians of TenneSSee. Just north of Ed's old stomping ground.

Stephen

G
#11 ·
Again thanks for the insight. I called Dal. $40 for new right front ABS sensor. Retail at our local GM dealer $86. Love those discounts.

How can GM get away with this kind of mark-up? Really!

Stephen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.