Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently done a PST front end bushing replacement. Also I replaced the wheel bearings and inner seals. The brake pads are in excellant condition. Finally got my baby back togather and suddenly the ABS light stays on. Is there a way that I can find out what is causing the problem. How do I test the ABS to find any codes. I have a ODB2 scanner and it reads NO codes. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or test procedures for a 96 Impala SS ABS system. HELP!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First check the basics:
connectors connected with no bents folded terminals.
Did you change rotors?
The speed sensors at the front wheels generate ac voltage as the reluctor spins in the magnetic field(sensor). Jack up the front end. Disconnect either wheel speed sensor connector and connect a digital multimeter (set to measure AC voltage) to the wheel side connector. Now, spin the wheel slowly then faster. The voltage should be relative to speed of wheel. If they are both producing voltage, you may have a cut or pinched wire.

There are many variables...
Did the ABS light come on right away or after driving?
Make sure the reluctors rings are clean and that the sensors didnt take a ding during repairs.

Does your scanner have a "chassis" option? Not sure as GM "Tech2" is only scanner I am familiar with. We have Powertrain, Chassis, and Supplemental Restraints.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
funny thing my ABS light came on today while i was driving and it stayed on all the way home, I actually forgot turn off the car and recheck the light when I got home, but I was wondering what would make it come on like that. My pedal seems to be fine but then again my brakes aren't the greatest, I could use some work( pads and rear adjustments) I'll check it tomorrow before I drive it to work to see if my light is normal ,and more importantly if my pedal is good. I'll post my findings

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tested the two front wheel sensors. I am getting a reading of 0 - .350 VAC. That is from standing still to as fast as I can turn the wheel. What is the voltage supposed to be? The ODB2 autoscanner that I have is an Actron CP9135. I think it only reads DTCs from the computer. Also the ABS light comes on as soon as I start to drive. That is by the time I get out of the driveway it comes on. I tried turning off the engine and restarting it, but it comes on within 15 to 25 feet. Any suggestions?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tested the two front wheel sensors. I am getting a reading of 0 - .350 VAC. That is from standing still to as fast as I can turn the wheel. What is the voltage supposed to be? The ODB2 autoscanner that I have is an Actron CP9135. I think it only reads DTCs from the computer. Also the ABS light comes on as soon as I start to drive. That is by the time I get out of the driveway it comes on. I tried turning off the engine and restarting it, but it comes on within 15 to 25 feet. Any suggestions?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the oppotunity to borrow my friends GM Tech 2. I scanned the ABS for DTC and came up with no DTC's. I ran the automatic test and low and behold it said I have a BPMV Pump Motor Malfunction. (DTC C0061) Does anyone know where I can get a new pump motor or is it possible to fix it. Thanks Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you need to replace the pump.I had same problem on my 96 and did not get a GM scan check. Just a light. Went thru the Factory Service Manual and found the wiring trouble shooting for ABS and determined that my pump was dead by the resistance in the motor being open. Book said can't replace motor so I just got another pump unit used.
No light since, been 4 months, (fingers croosed just incase).
Good Luck maybe others know more but that is how I troubleshot my ABS light.
Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How hard was it to replace the whole ABS unit?

The ABS is dead on the 92 wagon.

All the wheel sensors read that they are working. Then the ABS system shuts off. No codes can be retrived afer that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was hunting for information on the internet about the ABS pump / motor. I could not find anything dealing with the ABS system on the Impala SS. Although, I did find a few sites that directed me in the right directions on how to troubleshoot different types of ABS Systems. I kept getting a Code (C0061) - BPMV Pump Motor Malfunction. I recieved this after I have done a front end bushing replacement and rotor bearings replacement. I also found out that the pump / motor was not bad. What I had to do was pump my brakes 20 times, Then turn the ignition keep on. THATS IT. No more ABS Light. I think it had to do with the rotors and calipers being off of the car for a few weeks. I did go on EBAY and purchased an extra ABS pump / motor assembly for $29.95, just in case the old one didn't work after the 20 pumps on the brakes ( it's better to be safe than sorry). I am a happy camper now. My baby is up and running and handle awesomely.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW 20 pumps was all it took.
Dang I replaced my whole unit. and this was before I did all four calipers .
Well Isaved my old one any way but electrically I could not get the motor to spin, even with direct powering it via the specific electrical connectors.
Glad the 20 pumps worked for you, I wonder why the service manual does not mention that anywhere?

Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.