Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night I was driving on car a rocky street, with a lot of little rock all over the ground, and out of know where the ABS light came on, turn the car off light when off, drove it the morning on the highway at 40 mph light came back on, pulled over turn car off light when off, drove some more at 40 mph came back on, can anyone help with this problem?:(:(:(:(

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
last night I was driving.............and out of know where the ABS light came on.............can anyone help with this problem?:(:(:(:(
Have you recently changed your rear gears?

KW

·
Registered
190 Posts
i see from your car domain page that you have different size tires on both ends. 25.66 inch tire in back and 25.03 inch tire in front. the difference in size will throw that ABS light on when it notices that the tires are rotating at different speeds. Happened on my car at about 50mph when i only had enough money for two tires and i don't think there is a way to fix it other than same size tires.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i see from your car domain page that you have different size tires on both ends. 25.66 inch tire in back and 25.03 inch tire in front. the difference in size will throw that ABS light on when it notices that the tires are rotating at different speeds. Happened on my car at about 50mph when i only had enough money for two tires and i don't think there is a way to fix it other than same size tires.

I just put drag radials on friday and the car was fine on the street, drove on the highway light came on, today I took the drags off and put stock 9c1's back on.....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
test drove after class just too if the light would come on, at 43 mph it came on, turn the car off , and started it back up no light, test drove three times all three times light came on at 43 mph with stock 9c1 tires......:(:(:(:(

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Probably a bad connection in one of the ABS sensor wiring harnesses. The plug through the floor pan under the driver rear seat is a common culprit. Unplug it underneath the car and check for any corrosion, moisture, dirt, etc. The ABS wiring is VERY sensitive.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The plug through the floor pan under the driver rear seat is a common culprit. Unplug it and check for any corrosion, moisture, dirt, etc. The ABS wiring is VERY sensitive.
as is the left front (sitting under the a.c. drain hose).

also check all the hubs. if you get brake dust build-up around the sensor or the ring it will also throw a light. spray the heck out of them with brake cleaner just incase.

good luck

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
had it check today a code 28 came up, the guy at the shop said it because of the different tire size, Question if I get the pcm reprogram for the different tires size will the light go off??

·
Registered
787 Posts
Are the front and rear tires now the same height ? Roger

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I have 255/40/17 in the front low profile, and 275/40/17 in the back....

·
Registered
787 Posts
No I have 255/40/17 in the front low profile, and 275/40/17 in the back....
This is where the problem is coming from. The difference in height is causing the ABS light to come on (as mentioned above). ABS system is seeing different pulses (timing) between front and rear abs sensors. No way to resolve (that I am aware of) other then getting tires of the same height or closer in height then the difference of the current size you have on the car..

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok thanks...

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
You guys are all wrong.....

You will not throw an ABS light if you have different size tires that are close to the same height. The difference in tire height for the ABS light to come on is like over 1.5".

Your difference in tire height is little over 1/2" and shouldnt throw the light.

My guess is its a bad sensor or one with a lot of brake dust on it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You guys are all wrong.....

You will not throw an ABS light if you have different size tires that are close to the same height. The difference in tire height for the ABS light to come on is like over 1.5".

Your difference in tire height is little over 1/2" and shouldnt throw the light.

My guess is its a bad sensor or one with a lot of brake dust on it.
will the guy at a local shop tested it and a code 28 came up... he check the sensor's and said they where good, I hope is just from the drilled rotor's I have on the front of my car....:(:(:(

·
Registered
787 Posts
"Drilled Rotors" Have these always been on the car or are they a recent add?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Is that when the ABS problems started?

The reluctor wheel on the rotors are probably bad or not correct because they are aftermarket. Which brand rotors did you order?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is that when the ABS problems started?

The reluctor wheel on the rotors are probably bad or not correct because they are aftermarket. Which brand rotors did you order?
the abs problems started last sunday night, and the brand rotor I do not know I order them off ebay, and when I got the ABS checked a code 28 came up, the shop said it was the differents in the tire size....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.