Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put a set of 255/55/17 on the rear and got an abs light, do I need to tune the pcm for this or is it something else that could have went wrong at the same time I replaced the tires. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Abs

Those tires are 28.04 inches tall. The ABS will tolerate about 1 inch difference in diameter from front to rear before throwing a code. How tall are your front tires?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The fronts are 245/45.

EDIT: the tires I had before on the back were 255/50 which is a height of 27.04, and the front were (are) 245/45 which is a height of 25.68, and the new ones are 255/55 which is a height of 28.04. So i either need to replace the fronts with a taller tire or get a smaller one for the back.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Yeah that is what you are experiencing is a height difference that the ABS computer can't counter act for, i.e. the front tires are spinning faster than the rears in the same line. There isn't anything that a tune would do and you can't change the ABS computer that I know of.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, it all makes sense now, I just had a brain fart. I think im going to take the rears back to the shop i bought them from, they ordered the wrong tire for me but i had to put them on that day, I was down to the threads showing. This time ill make sure they order a 255/50.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts