Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96SS ABS Module is leaking from one of the bottom rubber capped connections on the module, when brake pressure is applied. (I'm guessing that is a dust cover for a piston or something, so I reckon an internal seal is leaking) Has increased fairly dramatically after I replace a defective booster. I know the ABS module isn't available except used. What ya'll recommend? Ebay and good luck, or someone here need to shed one? Many thanks...........

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Salvage yards or simply delete the system that was no great shakes anyway.

Reactions: Jimpala95

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If you genuinely think that the ABS has saved your @$$, or will save your @$$, then good luck replacing it.
The 3Channel ABS on '95 & '96 Caprices & RoadMasters is an inferior obsolete version that cannot compare wheel speeds to make sure they all decelerate as a 'team'.

One of the few things that the ISSF has not bothered doing is detailing how to upgrade to the '95 / '96 Fleetwood's 4Channel ABS - largely because it also waits until a wheel locks / stops before doing anything about that wheel.

The other thing the ISSF has not bothered to do is figuring out which superior evolution of ABS is compatible with our cars.
I would not be surprised if it turned out that we could upgrade to a predictive 4Channel ABS (instead of reactive) - but it would still be VERY costly, and it'd most likely be a very aftermarket solution.

Long story short:
1slow96 is right. Very seriously consider deleting ABS.
I strongly doubt anyone here at the ISSF regrets deleting their ABS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you genuinely think that the ABS has saved your @$$, or will save your @$$, then good luck replacing it.
The 3Channel ABS on '95 & '96 Caprices & RoadMasters is an inferior obsolete version that cannot compare wheel speeds to make sure they all decelerate as a 'team'.

One of the few things that the ISSF has not bothered doing is detailing how to upgrade to the '95 / '96 Fleetwood's 4Channel ABS - largely because it also waits until a wheel locks / stops before doing anything about that wheel.

The other thing the ISSF has not bothered to do is figuring out which superior evolution of ABS is compatible with our cars.
I would not be surprised if it turned out that we could upgrade to a predictive 4Channel ABS (instead of reactive) - but it would still be VERY costly, and it'd most likely be a very aftermarket solution.

Long story short:
1slow96 is right. Very seriously consider deleting ABS.
I strongly doubt anyone here at the ISSF regrets deleting their ABS.
Thanks, I was just trying for a "quicker solution" than a system rework at this time. Although retired, this car is driven almost daily. I have not illusion of the ABS saving anything. But, having said that the delete strings I read, look to be more than I want to tackle right now. After replacing radiator, fuel tank sending unit, optispark, master cylinder and booster in the last 12
months, kinda worn out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I was just trying for a "quicker solution" than a system rework at this time. Although retired, this car is driven almost daily. I have not illusion of the ABS saving anything. But, having said that the delete strings I read, look to be more than I want to tackle right now. After replacing radiator, fuel tank sending unit, optispark, master cylinder and booster in the last 12
months, kinda worn out.
If you know of a really good delete string, i'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I made 8 runs, then one with ABS disconnected - the fronts lock up first BIG time.
Average 7.08 121
The no ABS is as follows 7.29 sec (stopped to disconnect the connector and got hot) and 146 feet!

Do some internet searching and ask some big and small auto parts shops. There were several companies re manufacturing the ABS.

This is a sample not a endorsement.

My insurance requires me to inform them of modifications, and if you have state inspection there might be problems. If you want to sell the car ABS delete may restrict your market as other jurisdictions may check or test the car and require factory systems to work.

·
Premium Member
6,175 Posts
There ya go

With all the re builders out there, one would think one of them would be willing to address hydraulic issues in a Bosch 2U

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Do some internet searching and ask some big and small auto parts shops. There were several companies re manufacturing the ABS.

This is a sample not a endorsement.

My insurance requires me to inform them of modifications, and if you have state inspection there might be problems. If you want to sell the car ABS delete may restrict your market as other jurisdictions may check or test the car and require factory systems to work.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I would not be surprised if it turned out that we could upgrade to a predictive 4Channel ABS (instead of reactive)
Marky it is time to buy a b body and start modifying.

The crown victoria ABS makes the bosch system look real good.
I have heard about the BMW system being used as it has been "hacked" for some reprogramming.
"Apparantly the 03 to 06 bmw M3 has a fantastic ABS pump/ecu and is flashable to be better. The system is also standalone so it works in almost any vehicle. "

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Z09B4U, 95wagon,

When the ISSF proves my pessimism wrong, everyone wins.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Clearly the ABS system impedes the braking capabilities on regular conditions based on what I've read.

What I'm interested in knowing is how the ABS delete it fairs in bad weather conditions, where you don't have time to modulate the brake or hit a patch of ice right before an intersection or really you hit any bad weather.

·
Premium Member
6,175 Posts
While cost prohibitive for most of us , the actual Race ABS has the advantage of adjustment on the fly with a dash mounted rotary knob.
Programing , adjusting, testing, is done by lap top.
( can't show much right now without a car connected)
Bosch gets you coming and going though,
After the outlay, they want you to pony up another K for the MSA 2 interface.!!

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
For whatever it's worth, I think I have the original ABS module from my 96 RMW. I'm assuming it's the same as the 96 Impala SS - maybe someone can confirm?.

If you're interested in it - shoot me an offer.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
No laws require me to have ABS ,or prevent me from deleting it. Especially since it's an extremely primitive system that has likely caused as many accidents as it's prevented. Judging from all the lawsuits connected to it ,and GM.... My brake system performs better w/o ABS... This mod isn't for everyone , but I wasn't about to sink $1k into such a crappy device.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Personally I just need to see how a non-abs car performs in not so ideal conditions for me to be convinced i.e wet/icy conditions, someone slamming on their brakes in front of you etc.

Pretty much any situation where you need to slow down immediately and don't have time to modulate the brake I'd want to see how the ABS versus non ABS looks like.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Non abs will lose every time in those no time to think situations. Even our 'antiquated' systems... An IBM XT PC can still count numbers faster than a human...

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Do the test yourself by comparing results with ,and without ABS plugged in.
Many of us learned to drive long before ABS.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts