Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Show me... I could not find any for our era caprices, other than for blazers, pickups and full sized vans.
We just need the truth.
You act as if nothing ever goes wrong with it .
This ABS wasn't that great when it was new ,and that's hardly the case now.
You should probably keep the system intact since you have so much faith in it.
When it fails? Pay to have it fixed over ,and over ,and over again.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Guess all the lawsuits over the last 25 years have buried the older ones in search results. Lot of comparisons were done in the mid-90's as GM made some Caprices with ,and others w/o ABS . Identical in every other way . While helpful in some instances ,and under some conditions. It was not helpful in others ,and contributed to many rollover accidents especially. You like ABS ,I get that... Nothing is likely to change your opinion of this obsolete ,and marginal system. As someone who's had this car since they were new. I've read ,and researched extensively . As well as knowing experts on these brakes/chassis personally over the years. Then there's my own experience with the improve braking system performance on my own car after removing it. Of all those who deleted ABS ,I have yet to know of a single one that ever converted back. Many of them looking for any competitive advantage they can find. If I thought this ABS improve my car's braking in any way. It would still be on my car.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811182

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Very good publication. Not sure why you would share that if your point is abs doesn't help. Bottom line from it, as it stated itself was a Significant overall reduction in crashes.

Product Rectangle Font Circle Art

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
More helpful under some condition(s) ,not helpful in others. This was when these systems were new.
Neglected fluid ,corrosion ,failing internal seals and hardened o-rings doesn't fill me with confidence.
Nor is it likely to do anything other than further degrade it's performance
Especially common when purchasing cars with unknown histories that have had multiple owners.
You obviously don't want to delete yours ,and that's fine with me. Continually pontificating about
something you know nothing about with your heavily biased viewpoint is not particularly helpful
to anyone considering deleting their non ,or poorly functioning unit that had no idea they could simply do away with it.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
For whatever it's worth, I think I have the original ABS module from my 96 RMW. I'm assuming it's the same as the 96 Impala SS - maybe someone can confirm?.

If you're interested in it - shoot me an offer.
I found the 96 ABS module referenced above, however it's not in a condition that I would sell to anyone. Seems that water got in one of the ports and the electrical connector is broken as well.

If you're still looking for a module, give car-part.com a try - seems to be a lot of these around still.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
ABS unit is $85.10 at our local LKQ (Pick & Pull) yard.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts