Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1992 Caprice so it's R-12.
Compressor bearing started making noise.
it does it at idle and when I drive off its noisy until RPM is up then quiets down. I know it's going.

my question is, Do I need a whole new compressor or is it just the clutch on the front?

When the AC is shut off there is no noise at all.

Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
alot easier to just put in a new a/c compressor, but if you want to save a few bucks , i just loosened the clutch nut and backed it off the compressor and noise was gone. but my question is does your a/c work properly and just makes noise ?

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
I would change the clutch and the bearing. You just need some special tools to remove it. When you install, you have to set the clutch, pulley gap. I never did one, But have played around w/ old leakign R4 AC compressors

I used know of a G body writeup link online but I lost it. :(.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i "ve done clutches before and its a real pain in the a$$. after i was all done wasting hours doing a clutch and bearing , the actual compressor took a crap. alot easier and less time consuming to just pull 4 bolts and lines and put new compressor thats guaranteed for another 100k., let us know how u make out!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
i "ve done clutches before and its a real pain in the a$$. after i was all done wasting hours doing a clutch and bearing , the actual compressor took a crap. alot easier and less time consuming to just pull 4 bolts and lines and put new compressor thats guaranteed for another 100k., let us know how u make out!
I agree.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
]i "ve done clutches before and its a real pain in the a$$. after i was all done wasting hours doing a clutch and bearing , the actual compressor took a crap. "

Maybe you weren't doing it right. It took about 45 minutes for my mechanic to do it(minimum 1 hr labor charge) and the part (entire clutch assembly) was about $70.00 at Autozone.

·
Registered
787 Posts
]i "ve done clutches before and its a real pain in the a$$. after i was all done wasting hours doing a clutch and bearing , the actual compressor took a crap. "

Maybe you weren't doing it right. It took about 45 minutes for my mechanic to do it(minimum 1 hr labor charge) and the part (entire clutch assembly) was about $70.00 at Autozone.
That sounds about right. Great advantage is that you don't have to open up the a/c.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.