Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what is all the fuss about the AC Delco blower motor and maybe any AC Delco part as a matter of fact, I have been reading on the forum about using those parts because of better fitment and quality, so I ordered a blower motor for the wagon part number 15-8544( GM number 12491241 ) and it turned out to be the same part that Factory Air makes and also looks just like the one from AutoZone, they all have the same size wheel, when I looked at the pictures on Amazon and EBay they show it with a large wheel, tried to swap the wheel from the original but after drilling the hole a little bit larger it fits too tight and did not want to make it larger because it might wobble. I could have saved the extra $30 that I paid on Amazon for it, this part may be for another GM vehicle even thou is the part listed everywhere, I am going to install it since I do not want to get one from the yard, I should had trusted Factory Air, they make good parts.:mad:

· Registered
11,639 Posts
Only the OEM fits correctly. The aftermarket fans leave a 3/16 inch gap between the top of the fan and the bottom of the intake. If you put a stiff foam gasket around the top of the fan it would seal better, and you would get a lot more airflow, because the air gap would have a tighter seal. If you put too thick of a gasket on the fan, it will bind and cause the motor to burn up.

· Registered
7,785 Posts
Jose - sorry to hear this happened. I would like to think, if/when my fan quits, I could get the AC Delco part (which I would based on what I read) and it would fit like a glove. Not like any other replacement brand but instead now carrying a GM Part number. That's very disappointing but something we may start seeing as parts for our old girls become less and less popular. Not nice GM. :mad:

Only the OEM fits correctly. The aftermarket fans leave a 3/16 inch gap between the top of the fan and the bottom of the intake. If you put a stiff foam gasket around the top of the fan it would seal better, and you would get a lot more airflow, because the air gap would have a tighter seal. If you put too thick of a gasket on the fan, it will bind and cause the motor to burn up.
Hi Fred, I have not seen as many of these as I'm sure you have. I do like the idea of attempting to seal off the top of the area with dense foam or something like that. But since I've not seen the area, was just wondering.....

Would it be better or even possible to seal it off by building up the area around the fan rather than putting the foam on top of the fan? I just think glueing something like this on a MOVING part rather than the STATIONARY part would not work as well or be hard to keep attached. Plus if the foam is imbalanced in any way, it could add some stress to the motor/shaft over time.

· Registered
11,639 Posts
You could attach it to the duct if you want to. You have to close the gap to keep air from bleeding back into the low pressure area.

· Registered
2,703 Posts
Before you condemn your original to the dumpster - try this:

Mine had a little noise, flutter, chirping and slower running than normal. Took it out and cleaned it - all those years of dirt and brush carbon build up took their toll. Used an air compressor, old toothbrush, etc. Then oiled it.. Well it's supposed to have sealed bearings that aren't serviceable.......................... but they are. Drop some thin oil on both the top and bottom bearings and let it sit for 24 hrs inverted so it hopefully gets in there.

Clean and vacuum the compartment, lube the connector, and try it out.

Did this about 6 years ago and no problems since.

The original are better units than any replacement and fit right.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I broke the original while testing it, I am going to the yard and get one or two and get them cleaned and oiled and have them ready for next time it happens, I have a Caprice also and it could be next.

· Registered
79 Posts

Mine had a little noise, flutter, chirping and slower running than normal. Took it out and cleaned it - all those years of dirt and brush carbon build up took their toll. Used an air compressor, old toothbrush, etc. Then oiled it.. Well it's supposed to have sealed bearings that aren't serviceable.......................... but they are. Drop some thin oil on both the top and bottom bearings and let it sit for 24 hrs inverted so it hopefully gets in there.

Old thread that is getting more and more important as the years go by!

How did you lube the top bearing under the squirrel cage?

Greg

· Banned
3,437 Posts
Old thread that is getting more and more important as the years go by!
How did you lube the top bearing under the squirrel cage?
Greg
I did this game on other GM vehicles .. since my cars/trucks are keep for 20yrs I do periodically remove the blower motors clean the fan and use air compressor oil 20-30wt NON detergent oil .. that is sticky oil will not drain off..

also when you do this set in place the rat wire screen ...they will get in ..

· Registered
79 Posts

How do you get oil to the bearing on the cage end?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.