1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,437 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I have found the sending unit from Summit Racing for $251 just no mention anywhere whether or not the pump comes with it. I even went to ACDelco's website and they don't even mention if the pump is included. I did order the sending unit, a pump and strainer just now so next week I can replace this whole mess.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have found the sending unit from Summit Racing for $251 just no mention anywhere whether or not the pump comes with it. I even went to ACDelco's website and they don't even mention if the pump is included. I did order the sending unit, a pump and strainer just now so next week I can replace this whole mess.
I never had to drop the Impala gas tank but I have drained other vehicle fuel tanks .
on the Impala if I have to do it .. I will place a fused jumper on the prime wire .. vehicle up high off ground on ramps .. hook up my fuel pressure gauge that has the drain valve on it . prime the pump and dump the fuel in my 5gal fuel tanks I have 3 of these .. since the pump in tank will not have much back pressure not gonna get to hot when the fuel gets low..
also have the battery charger on it .. pump draws about 4 amps on these .
you can also check for voltage drops on the power wires to the pump ..

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never had to drop the Impala gas tank but I have drained other vehicle fuel tanks .
on the Impala if I have to do it .. I will place a fused jumper on the prime wire .. vehicle up high off ground on ramps .. hook up my fuel pressure gauge that has the drain valve on it . prime the pump and dump the fuel in my 5gal fuel tanks I have 3 of these .. since the pump in tank will not have much back pressure not gonna get to hot when the fuel gets low..
also have the battery charger on it .. pump draws about 4 amps on these .
you can also check for voltage drops on the power wires to the pump ..
I'm not worried about removing the tank as I've replace the fuel pump almost 3 years ago but I've decided this time I'm going to replace the complete sender assembly with the pump. I have yet to check the actual voltage at the rear connector but planning on doing that as well and replacing the wiring if needed.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Q

You may find this info helpful....

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/1239986-fuel-sending-unit-gm-vs-spectra.html

I would not be surprised if the Spectra unit does not match the Current GM offering now. You could save yourself a little cash and just modify the unit if you feel it's needed...i.e. Upgrade so,e wiring. I can confirm that GM changed its float resister design to match the Spectra style. I also added the racetronix Kit to my car which provides a redundant ground and voltage to the pump but works with the stock harness. GL with your build.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You may find this info helpful....

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/1239986-fuel-sending-unit-gm-vs-spectra.html

I would not be surprised if the Spectra unit does not match the Current GM offering now. You could save yourself a little cash and just modify the unit if you feel it's needed...i.e. Upgrade so,e wiring. I can confirm that GM changed its float resister design to match the Spectra style. I also added the racetronix Kit to my car which provides a redundant ground and voltage to the pump but works with the stock harness. GL with your build.

I did cancel the AC Delco sending unit as it was taking too long to get and kept getting pushed further out on delivery date. I ordered the Spectre instead. On another note I just opened the fuel pump box and the pump inside has a different number than the GM listing, the number on the pump is 25163364 and the pump is supposed to be 25163464. I'm guessing maybe a mispackaged pump?

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Curious pump-box # mismatch. For the identical issue, take a look at post #67 here:https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/235185-how-refurbish-your-fuel-sending-unit-7.html
That same mismatch is from 6+ years ago, so maybe the pumps were stamped incorrectly. As in the old thread, I also cannot find a listing for a 25163364 pump.
I have a new ACD EP376 in the box outside in my car's trunk, but it's 5 a.m. and my gf's asleep, so I'll have to wait a few minutes to go check...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts