Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
It's a fuel sending unit.......
Where can I purchase a Ac Delco sending unit for a 1995 Caprice Sedan for a good price ?
I think GM discontinued them... .
Rock Auto...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1996,impala,5.7l+v8,1049701,fuel+&+air,fuel+sending+unit,4436

Honestly. I'd have no problem with using the Spectra and saving some coin. The new GM replacement looks a LOT like the Spectra. Also worth considering "beefing up" the unit a little and upgrade the harness with something from Racetronix. Ground side always seems to cause problems on these cars.

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/1239986-fuel-sending-unit-gm-vs-spectra.html

HTHs

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
What is the difference between the Spectra and the Spectra PremI'm ?
Thanks
No idea what you're seeing and only saw Spectra Premium and GM listed there. Maybe check with the Vendor and see if they know.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Been running a spectra with a racetronics Walbro pump and bulkhead connector wiring kit for a few years now. No troubles.

-Brian

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.....

Anyone know of where I can get reasonable ac delco sending unit......everyone seems to be out......I would love to stay all GM as they spent alot on R & D.......
If the Spectra is as good as ac delco or Delphi I may go that route.....

·
Super Moderator
8,232 Posts
Ironically the Spectra unit WITH the fuel pump (SP128B1H) is CHEAPER than the one WITHOUT the fuel pump (FG128B), and they look identical from the pictures. Unfortunately both of them have a design flaw where the main ground wire is too small. I made a post about how to replace all of it with Racetronix parts for about $60 if you want to stay with the stock fuel pump.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with others. The Spectra Premium is higher quality and Spectra. And yes, the ground wire appears too thin. But a closer look indicates that the insulation is thin and conformal so it makes it look more ridiculous than it really is. Granted IMO the wire is too thin either way, but I've used it successfully (so far) without modification. I'm running 2 of them on different cars and neither has failed yet (one is 2 years old, another was just installed this year). A friend is also running one on his B-Body with no problems so far.

I would avoid the Delphi unit. Two years ago we installed one on a friend's car. It failed within a week and left him stranded. The hose the connects the pump to the cover plate of the sender was made of rubber and burst. I prefer the plastic slinky pipe of the Spectra (which is same as stock).

If Dephi has redesigned this with a stronger pipe, I guess it would be OK now. But don't expect a higher quality AC Delco part from a Dephi in this case. They are on-par (or worse if it has the black rubber pipe) with Spectra Premium at this point IMO. And the ground wire on the Delphi is also still too small. LOL

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts