Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my AC was blowing hot as it has been but now that temps are reaching 100 plus humidity as if it were in the swamps, AC is a priority. Last summer I took it to a shop to find out where I had a leak, bc after charging my AC several times it kept going hot, the dye showed it was coming out the valve/port where I would charge the AC. Never went back to get fixed but I saw a valve repair kit on rockauto and wanted to know if that's what I needed?
I'm talking about the big can looking thing btw in case people were wondering.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are talking the bigger valve close to the radiator and condenser that is the high side valve. The plastic ball sucks at sealing and the valve kit I bought just had another ball in it and leaked brand new. I just got new lines from Oreilly and they have a Schroeder valve instead of the ball so problem fixed. If your low side valve is leaking that's a simple Schroeder valve, don't use a tire valve as it is different types of rubber and they won't seal right in AC systems

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Since you referred to the accumulator/dryer as a "big can looking thing" we can assume you don't know much about auto A/C systems. Take it back to the shop and have them change it. It takes a few minutes for someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fbi, lol well I wanted to know what it's called so I could buy the parts and have the shop install it. I'm pretty cynical and don't want the shop thinking they can swindle me because I'm not too informed on the problem.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are talking the bigger valve close to the radiator and condenser that is the high side valve. The plastic ball sucks at sealing and the valve kit I bought just had another ball in it and leaked brand new. I just got new lines from Oreilly and they have a Schroeder valve instead of the ball so problem fixed. If your low side valve is leaking that's a simple Schroeder valve, don't use a tire valve as it is different types of rubber and they won't seal right in AC systems
These are the options that popped up but I'm guessing the one that says schrader valve is the one?

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
the low side is apart of the ac drier accumulator. which is less than $30 and should be replaced anytime the system is opened. the high side valve screws on to the line near the radiator...ac-delco 15-5438 should be less than $5

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had the same problem, tried to tighten up the valve and ended up twisting the hose so I replaced hose, accumulator and filter, evacuated and charged it and it works like supposed.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I had the low side valve replaced with a schrader valve, had the system recharged professionally (pneumatic machine and all) and it worked great....till today. Now it blows ambient temp air again >.<

1 - 8 of 8 Posts