Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled my 94 Caprice out of its hibernation and the ac isn't working. It worked 8-9 years ago, but slowly blew warmer air up until 5 years ago and i haven't driven it more than a few miles every few months since. After putting a few hundred miles on this weekend, i definatley need ac again.

Its been a good 10 years since doing ac work in a dealership i worked at. So, I'm in need of a good set of 134a manifold gauges and a vacuum pump. Open to all suggestions on what works and what is crap. For instance i found a vacuum pump at harbor freight for $20 that i can hook up to my 20 gal air compressor. I'm willing to spend more if needed but i don't need anything heavy duty as ill likely only use it a few times in the next few years.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you don't plan on using them often, why not borrow them? The Autozone by me loans all ac related tools. They were in pretty good shape when I used them on my truck. Just another option to save some money.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great suggestion. I don't know anyone with the tools but ill definately see if i can rent them like i do with other specialty tools from the zone.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Not used their A/C tools (manifold gauges and Vacumn Pump) but have no issues with certain things from Harbor Freight. Certain tools like a Ball Joint Press, Inner tie rod tool or even their Jacks I got from them and they work fine for the money you pay. Name brand/Quality tools like this from other vendors can cost you a whole bunch more, but in the end are better quality.

As far as more specialized tools like for A/C work, I would suspect for the person who may only use these a few times, you would most likely be ok with something from them if you can't find loaners. If you were looking to get more involved in A/C work, I would not recommend them for anything that would last.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I completely agree. Ive got jackstands and a few other things from HB. The general quality of their stuff isnt great so i always figure things from there as a one time use. Then if it lasts, its a bonus.

Great news, autozone rents the gauge set and pump for free. It was $312 for the deposit but thats what credit cards are good for. My local store had a brand new oem brand gauge set and 1.8 cfm vacuum pump.

I had no pressure in the lines to start so i checked the compressor and it kicks on when its jumped, i put it on a vacuum for 1 hour and it held pressure for about a minute. All pressure was lost within 10 minutes. Tomorrow i'll add leak dye with some refrigerant and see whats leaking.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Good deal on borrowing the equipment. A/C needs to be run at least once a month to keep all the seals happy. We often leave the A/C off for most of the spring and fall. Though some winter defrost duty. Good habit to run the A/C now and then.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, but with not having it work for so long and a small leak, i picked up new o-rings and some dye. Hoping to play with it again tomorrow and no leaks.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
How'd it go?

CMS,

How did it go? Did you chase down your leak and get it fixed? Did you get your system recharged? I am about to start some major AC work on my 96 and want to here your story and how it turned out.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts