Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my compressor is cycling on and off frequently as well as ac not cooling efficiently so I'm pretty sure it's low on r134a, I was curious if anyone had had any issues with the kits that have the leak sealer, I'm hesitant but I've heard conflicting storys. Thanks a lot for the help and I apologize if it's already been discussed I couldn't find it on here.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Hey guys my compressor is cycling on and off frequently as well as ac not cooling efficiently so I'm pretty sure it's low on r134a, I was curious if anyone had had any issues with the kits that have the leak sealer, I'm hesitant but I've heard conflicting storys. Thanks a lot for the help and I apologize if it's already been discussed I couldn't find it on here.
do not use leak sealer this can cause blockages.

did your ride come with 134 from factory ? IF so I would add some PAG 150 refrigerant oil when you charge it. low oil levels do cause leaks as well as lube the compressor . 2 OZ should do it.

If the compressor runs quieter after this then it was low on oil. I would also add a small amount of leak detector UV. then you will see where its leaking. compressor leaks on these are quite common with this design/compressor used.

if your ride came with r12 then you must use a conversion oil.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Hey guys my compressor is cycling on and off [SNIP]
What do you mean by cycling on/off? It's normal for an A/C system to engage and disengage the compressor. It's not normal for it to happen frequently, but the compressor will engage and disengage the clutch depending upon the load/demand it is seeing.

Do you have a set of gauges, or have a friend that does? That would be the first order of business; to find out what state the system is in before you even start doing anything.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
If he had gauges, he wouldn't be asking bout these kits.

Get out your wallet and take it to a shop for proper diagnosis and repair. If you don't, you will have one problem after another and spend a lot more time and money on it. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the advice guys, the compressor is cycling on and off about every 5 seconds, I know it comes on and off but that's way to frequently. I have a buddy that's got the gauges I'll ask him to help I just didn't want to bother him. It's really awesome how much you guys are willing to help since I've bought the car I've spend hours just reading this forum and have learned so much about these cars already, thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Thanks a lot for the advice guys, the compressor is cycling on and off about every 5 seconds, I know it comes on and off but that's way to frequently. I have a buddy that's got the gauges I'll ask him to help I just didn't want to bother him. It's really awesome how much you guys are willing to help since I've bought the car I've spend hours just reading this forum and have learned so much about these cars already, thanks again!
Do yourself and others a favor, and fill in your location, and year make and model of your ride in the user CP. You may have an ISSF member right next door who could help.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Your system has a leak. Find the leak first before doing anything.

I wouldn't arbitrarily go adding oil to the system in any amount. Too much is as bad as too little.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Your system has a leak. Find the leak first before doing anything.

I wouldn't arbitrarily go adding oil to the system in any amount. Too much is as bad as too little.
the ac system requires about 9OZ of oil. as time passes the oil as well as refrigerant leaks out.

if you had 3 OZ too much oil in it the cooling ability would be reduced slightly.It will not blow up....

too little oil it will compressor lock up ,and it will be a very bad day.

after 10 yrs I add the 2 OZ to the AC systems.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
... I have a buddy that's got the gauges I'll ask him to help I just didn't want to bother him. ....!
If his gauges are a really good set then my guess is he won't consider it a bother at all for you to show up with either $10 to help him pay for them and his time, or better yet - beer. If you had 5-10 years' experience learning that car then I'd say do some experimenting. If you recently picked it up and it's been cycling like that right off then seek professional tools and assistance as referred above.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
This is getting too complicated. I'm sure that thousands of times a year folks just add a bit of freon. There is a low pressure switch on the a/c line that will shut the compressor clutch off if the pressure gets too low. You may be running enough pressure initially but when the compressor turns on the pressure will drop. In your case it sounds like it's dropping enough to trigger the low pressure switch and de-energize the a/c clutch circuit. When the compressor de-energizes there is no suction on the low pressure line and the pressure will go back up and allow the clutch to re-energize.

The stop leak is essentially a seal conditioner and should not cause any blockages. The stop leak may take care of the problem if it is a seal getting old and hard. Get a can of r-134 with the gauge on it, plug it in to your low pressure line and you'll see what it's doing. The pressure may be something like "30" or so and when the compressor kicks in it will drop lower than that and turn off the clutch. Just add some freon until it stops cycling off and on. Follow the recommendations that came with the freon and add until the pressure gets up around 40-50 or so depending on the outside temperature. When the compressor kicks in the pressure will still go down some but probably not enough to deenergize the clutch circuit.

This may last for a week, a year or several years depending on how severe the leak is. The fact that you still have enough freon to allow the compressor to engage tells me that the leak doesn't appear to be all that significant. I have a vacuum pump and a set of gauges but for the most part they're not needed. Just the low pressure gauge that comes with the freon is usually good enough. It'll cost about twenty bucks or so and if it does leak out you will have the dye that's in the freon can to help you find the leak. All you'll need then is an IR pen. Just charge it up and see what happens. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes and I'd almost bet that you will be fine. Good luck.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
It's not normal for anything to leak out.

Fix the leak or keep putting a band aid on it. It's your car.
on these it is normal for the refrigerant to leak over many years at the compressor SHAFT seal. this is due to cold/hot temp variations. usually winter cold causes the leaks. small leaks like 12OZ over 5 plus years along with some oil. at 20 yrs then the compressor body seals leak , then its time for a new compressor.

NEW vehicles made today have better sealed compressors what happens all too often however is the evap coils are so thin they break ... long labor to replace on most vehicles $1500..

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
This is getting too complicated. I'm sure that thousands of times a year folks just add a bit of freon.
There are. Because they have a LEAK! lol! It's a sealed system. Oil/refrigerant do not dissipate unless there is a leak. Which means there's something wrong with your ****. IDK how else to say it lol!

Sure you can give it a "charge" here and there. But it's only gonna get worse. And as it gets worse the potential for you to do serious damage to your compressor, etc will increase. In turn that will cost you MORE money to repair on top of all the band aids you stuck on it.

on these it is normal for the refrigerant to leak over many years at the compressor SHAFT seal. this is due to cold/hot temp variations. usually winter cold causes the leaks. small leaks like 12OZ over 5 plus years along with some oil. at 20 yrs then the compressor body seals leak , then its time for a new compressor.

NEW vehicles made today have better sealed compressors what happens all too often however is the evap coils are so thin they break ... long labor to replace on most vehicles $1500..
I'm sure a lot of things tend to leak after MANY years...both on your car and on your person. However, that doesn't mean it's normal. Expected, yes. But not normal operation.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
go and ask a ac auto tech about this shaft seal leaking on these 1980-1996 GM compressors "if" it is normal for them to weep refrigerant at the shaft seal .low oil in the system increases this leaking since it is required for this seal to hold the gas in the system. normal means very small leak. not normal big leak.

the new compressors now made are a better design on the seal so not normal for these to leak at the shaft .

remember that ozone issue destroying the atmosphere. caused by these type compressors.

same with tires they leak small amounts of air normal..

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Because they have a LEAK! lol! It's a sealed system. Oil/refrigerant do not dissipate unless there is a leak. Which means there's something wrong with your ****. IDK how else to say it lol!
Yep, there definitely is a leak and most often the leak is a hardened compressor shaft seal as j cat mentioned. The 134 with stop leak might soften that seal and make it better. Or......it's just been leaking an ounce or two a year and it's no big deal. I changed my first compressor and charged my first system on my brand new 1969 Charger R/T. That's been a while ago. I was going to make it colder by adding r-12 to a fully charged system and after my compressor locked up I figured that wasn't the cure.:smile2: We really do learn from our mistakes. If the seal is leaking then you'll need to rebuild your compressor or get another one anyhow so what's the harm in adding some 134. I'd estimate that there's a 95% chance that it will work now and continue to work next year. (That number just came from out of nowhere) While I have no schooling on refrigeration it ain't rocket science. I do have about 50 years experience playing with these A/C systems, engines, transmissions and everything hooked together to make a car. A quick shot of freon won't hurt a thing in the world. Don't turn the can upside down when adding the freon and you'll be fine. Be cool my friend.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
[SNIP]Don't turn the can upside down when adding the freon and you'll be fine. Be cool my friend.:laugh:
Well I've been doing this quote a long time as well. You can certainly add the freon as a liquid as well as a gas. I've been doing it with R12 and R134.

Take a look at the 30Lb tanks used to charge your system at your friendly automotive shop. Where is the connection? On the bottom with the tank resting on the two lifting handles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts