Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 95SS recently the AC was not blowing cold so I filled the system with two cans of freon and a can of oil charge and it blew cold for about 1 month and then it became warm air. I then pumped in a can of the leak check dye into the system and could not find any leaks. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
the service valves are notorious for sticking, it has a ball valve in it and after years of heat cycles they warp. I would try replacing both service valves and recheck. hth

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yes, make sure the system is fully discharged, and im unsure if the parts store has the socket, but theres a special socket or u can fine one that fits tight. It screws off like a fastener and back on, lub the o-ring with ac oil and tighten. Wont be that tight considering your tightening to a thin wall line and alum. cylinder. I just remebered, its the high side that has the ball valve and the low side has a valve stem.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
well if you have the system discharged prolly a good idea to do both. U save money on possible failure again and then would have to do it over again. I;m not saying this is your problem but I have seen it before on these cars and other gm's.

·
Registered
77 coupe
478 Posts
Losing refrigerant that fast you should see it somewhere. Oil will leak out with the system and dirt and stuff will stick to it so check around line connections, service ports, pressure switch, and on the belly of the compressor.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Another area is the compressor lines near the a arm on passenger side, they always rub and cause the hoses to leak

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
If you don't have any luck with the help above, you can buy a couple cans of freon with tracer dye in them and recharge it. Once it leaks out check with a black light on the system and see where it glows, that will be your leak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.