Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
installed some ZQ8s and because these are so beefy I have probably half a inch of clearance on the drivers side and none on the passenger side. I'm positive the bushings in the passenger side control arms are shot so I understand why its uneven. But it occurred to me that even when I get those replaced that I might have some suspension travel issues. Should there be more clearance with vogtland/hotchkis? Or will the springs rattle around when it makes contact?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
im not sure but i think your supposed to trim the ZQ8's a little. i'll be needing to do this soon as well.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I trimmed them a small amount, but Ive read you're not supposed to trim the top of them and I couldn't get them out of the mounting plate so I didn't take to much off.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
I trimmed the tops years ago after putting in the hotchkis springs, no problems at all.
now that the suspension is settled in the zq8s just kiss the frame.

can see the top just to the right of the spindle.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I trimmed the tops years ago after putting in the hotchkis springs, no problems at all.
now that the suspension is settled in the zq8s just kiss the frame.
so, you can just trim them down to the same height and they will still be an upgrade? my stock bump stops left just over an inch of clearance between the control arm and the tip of it. and just kissed the UCA like you said.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
I took them to the bench grinder, flattened and then beveled the edge.
theres a freeway that passes over reclaimed landfill and has to be repaved every few years because it gets like a roller coaster.
hadnt been on it in awhile, last week I hit it around 75 and I know the front end bottomed.
no metal to metal or clunks so I guess theyre still working.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I trimmed them a small amount, but Ive read you're not supposed to trim the top of them and I couldn't get them out of the mounting plate so I didn't take to much off.
try harder. Gently pry it out, nothing except the little tabs on the cup are holding in the urethane part. Don't trim the top.

1/2" clearance is fine.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
OK, why not?

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
it causes global warming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts