Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any accident is easier to report when there's been no injuries, except for the hapless souls I'd like to maim for damaging my pristine ride. Apparently a park/hit-n-run in a parking lot yesterday. You see it's driveable (barely), but it's simultaneously infuriating and embarrassing to be seen in until I get it repaired.

IDK which would feel better, knowing it was some j.o. resentful of a nicer car than theirs, or, a little brat in an SUV with 800# doors. Actually, it's pretty tough for a door to hit that far back along the body so it just as likely coulda' been a shopping cart. A couple of the lots I was on did have a grade of sorts.

All this is just heads-up for you's that they're out to get you.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Looks like a shopping cart to me.

Some idiot hit and ran my 91 OCC in my dad's driveway, and it is not even on a deadend street. It is at the body shop now, and will cost me about $400.

You may be able to get a paintless dent removal guy to fix it. I had a couple dents like that in my front door, and I could not tell where they were after the guy was done. It cost me $50.

·
Registered
40 Posts
S**t like this makes me HATE parking in lots of certain stores. I go out of my way to park close to a cart return and a little farther away from the doors so there is no one too close to me and hopefully no loose carts that overly self-important, lazy, impotent @$$holes leave out to dent or scratch my car.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
those look like a paintless dent removal guy to fix those.

those guys the good ones its just so amazing how they can fix it so perfect.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well. I picked a credible sounding/looking dent operation and got it repaired. Rather pointless showing a pic since it's literally impossible to see the repair. Very reasonably priced - far less than the insurance adjustment.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have a few dents I need to get out of my vehicle. They are small enough for PDR, just not too excited about what it might cost.

You willing to disclose your costs?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not at all a matter of harboring the price, but my costs can't translate well to another's repairs based on so many variables - location, area competition, severity and accessibility of damage. I can tell you I estimated labor hours x normal shoprate, a little for special tool costs and some shop o/h, and came up with my own guess. Then, I went to a place recommended by a trusted bodyman and was quoted right at twice that amount. For a check I drove to a closer location (and different franchise) that does this work along with quite a bit of other one-off exotic car stuff (new Aston Martin getting entire nose clear-bra, Ferrari getting exhaust). An intelligent professional sounding fella gave me a quote ("maximum $XXX, could be less") which was 2/3 of the first quote, and ended up paying a little less than the max and within $25 of my first guess.

The biggest factors at both places mentioned as critical are depth of ding (stretching metal), sharp creases (can crack the metal and/or paint when doing the work), ease of accessing from the back (mine were obviously easy), and anytime damage gets below the color (which in my case was "real close"). BTW, it was almost a 1/3 of the insurance estimated doing more customary bodywork/repaint - including my collision deductible.

Do your own guess and just call and let a couple places look at it. The more stuff you have done at once likely the most economical eh. I have a few door dings on my black car, and figure I'll go back to that place for a quote and offer to pull off the panels myself for a little savings. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts