Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do anyone know if a post exists of adding a second battery. I know once you install a RAISS or SSRI intake you have space over the PCM to add a battery, I'm just not sure what all needs to be done to make this work

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
182 Posts
Unless your putting an extreme sound system in your car why would you want 2 batteries?

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
The battery tray is symmetric and mounts to the inner fender, so you can do just like the diesel trucks of the same era did and put in another tray on the left side, however you will have to re-locate the PCM as there isn't enough height for a 78 series battery. You can probably just rotate the PCM from horizontal to vertical, but will need to figure out a way to fasten it down securely. If running dual batteries, it's highly recommended that they be the same size, manufacturer, and age unless you're running battery isolators and all that jazz.

A 65 series battery will (barely) fit in the stock location if you modify the battery tray - this can deliver incrementally more power, reserve, etc

They have Lithium Ion batteries in automotive sizes that, depending on your application, might be a solution?

As buickman1 asked - what is the motivation for 2 batteries?

·
Super Moderator
6,029 Posts
Just use the dual battery trays from the 80s diesel B/C/D body cars. Plastic tray in mom's 84 Cadillac, they will fit right in our cars, but you may have to drill mounting holes. Relocate PCM if needed.

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
Keep the PCM away from a battery. The fumes will eat it.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Yet my dual battery C/K pickup has PCM right up against battery for over 20 years now.
Sounds like some unsupported urban legend to me.

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
Yet my dual battery C/K pickup has PCM right up against battery for over 20 years now.
The battery acid eats the battery tray, and the wheelhouse, so I still would not mount them near each other.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Is the C/K pickup's pcm painted black, or is it bare aluminum?

'Battery in the right rear of the trunk's popularity is waning …

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
None of these mods are for everyone ,or even the average enthusiast. Probably the easiest weight to redistribute. In my car it also provides super stable voltage/ground to the fuel pump. In my truck moving batteries to cabin moved significant weight toward rear by over seven feet. If mod doesn't interest you ,then you probably shouldn't do it. It's not as if underhood temps do batteries any favor either.

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
182 Posts
No offense to what your doing with weight distribution, but I would buy or make some kind of sealed battery box and run a vent to the outside of the cabin.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
According to Odyssey these AGM batteries produce no gas. No liquid,and no lead plates

1 - 11 of 11 Posts