Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and had no luck finding much on this mod. I have a '95 caprice that was very low optioned and have added pwr seats and mirrors recently. The wiring was not there and I had to make up my own harness with stock ends for this.

Now I need to repair my headliner and figured I would add a couple of new options. I picked up Lighted coat hanger boxes along with a AutoDim Rearview Mrror with map lights and a lighted Pass. Visor. The seller was nice enough to include the whole harness above the headliner which I cut at the bottom of the driver side B-Pillar. The Autodim mirror has a plug that has 5 wires in it that plugs into the back of the mirror.

The coathook lights should be pretty straightforward but does anyone have any info on how to wire up this 5 wire Rearview mirror? My car never had the twilight sentinel so I hope this does not have to tie into that circuit somehow. I was told this mirror is pretty self contained but not sure why I would have more than 2 wires for 12v & ground.

Has anyone else added one of these to a car that never had this setup? I can fab up what I need just need to know what wire go where.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Headliner harness

Did you cut above, or below the plug on the B pillar? If below, then it should be plug & play, as it was on our B4U.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Since we lost a lot of info in the great crash I will put the wiring info in your thread for future searches. I wrote this up a while ago and it was lost in the crash BUT because this forum had some issues with lost info I also cross post on NAISSO to make sure one of the forums has the info needed.

If its auto dimming (IMPALA) then this is the wiring.

Orange- always hot (powers dome light feature)
White- grounded with dome light on or door open (grounds dome light feature)
Black- ground (grounds mirror and individual lights)
Pink- hot in ignition (powers mirror)
Green- hot in reverse (OPTIONAL- disable autodim feature while in reverse)

If its not auto dimming and only has map lights then it should be this

Orange= Hot
White = Open ground
black = Ground

Compass Mirror Wiring

Here is where the wires go.

Blk/Lt Grn - Constant +12v (Fuse 1 - 15 amp) Power for courtesy lamps.
Blk/Lt Blu - +12v in run, bulb test, or start (Fuse 17 - 15 amp) Power for the compass
Blk/Wht - Door pin switches (white wire from any of the door pin switches) Turns on the courtesy lamps when door is open
Blk - Ground (Find a ground wire to tap into or just ground to any available metal which has continuity to the body/frame) Ground for all mirror features

Pin A: Door jamb switches (blk/wht)
Pin B: Ground
Pin C: Hot all the time, 12v
Pin D: Hot in run, 12v

Heres how you calibrate the compass

For a 91-93 compass mirror,

1. Locate the vehicule on a level surface away from large metallic structure or other strong magnetic disturbance

2. A good compass MUST be used to determine where magnetic north and magnetic west are before attempting to calibrate the electronic compass

3. Align the vehicule in initinal direction. any direction will do as long the vehicule's direction can be reversed accuratly

4. Place ignition switch in "RUN" position; make sure the rear defogger is off

5. Push and hold the calibration button
a) After about three seconds, "CAL" will appear at the top of the display
b) Continue holding the calibration button until a large symbol appear at the left side of display
c) Release the calibration button; display will begin to flash slowly
d) After one or two minutes the display will stop flashing and two similar characters will fill the display

6. Turn the vehicule around 180° so it's pointing in the EXACT opposite direction (if not done accuratly, aligment errors will affects compass accuracy)

7. Briefly push the calibration button until the display begins to flash again.
a) Display will continue flashing for one or two minutes
b) Display will switch to show a large, slowly flashing "N" and "CAL"

8. Align the vehicule in the desired north direction, as found on a road map of the area (geographic north)

9. Push calibration button, one more time.
a) "CAL" will dissapear from the display, and the large "N" will appear in the display.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you cut above, or below the plug on the B pillar? If below, then it should be plug & play, as it was on our B4U.
I was able to get all (dome light, mirror, coathook lights and vanity light) of the harness above the headliner and followed this bundle of wires down the drv. side b-pillar and just cut the harness at the bottom of the b-pillar where it ties into the rest of the harness at the floor leading up to the fuse panel. It is the auto-Dim mirror and harness from an Impala.

Nor-CalSS & Mike - What you guys included is a big help and thanks for the Schematics. Here is what I have so it looks like the wire color codes are correct and should be pretty easy once I decide to pull the Headliner. Need to recover the HL this winter. If I have the same wires in my car it may just be a matter of splicing into my existing harness at the b-pillar. Just not sure what is currently there and it was years ago when I added the Astro van overherad console with Compass and maplights.

Here is what i currently got from the donor Impala...
Mirror Plug
1)Org 2)Blue/wht 3)Grn 4)Blk 5)Pink/wht

Harness @ b-piller
1)Org 2)Blue/wht 3)Grn 4)Blk 5)Pink

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Here is what i currently got from the donor Impala...
Mirror Plug
1)Org 2)Blue/wht 3)Grn 4)Blk 5)Pink/wht
^^This is my setup here^^

i'm assuming not much will change between the mirrors so

Org - constant 12V
Grn - hot in reverse
BLK - ground
Pnk/Wht - 12V when ignition is on
Blu/Wht - ??? is this ground when door is open???

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Yes the blue/white is the ground when the doors are open. It also goes to the I/P dimmer switch, so that you can turn the lights on manually.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Black is the ground for the compass. It goes to pin D in connector C309. and continues to a splice S218

Black/white is ground for the courtesy lights. It is spliced to the white wire S320 from the dome lamp.

Black/Lt Green is the power for the courtesy lights. It is spliced to the dome lamp power wire S318 that is orange.

The power wire for the compass goes to pin E on connector C309 at the base of the B pillar. The wire is pink/black in the wagon, and the sedan is black/Lt blue. There should be pink/black wire that goes from C309 to splice S232 and fuse 17.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you good with a DVM and reading schematics? If so, it may just be a matter of using the schematics to find the wires you need to get this all connected.

If the wires you need aren't there, then you may have to fab up your own harness/connections. That's pretty much what I've had to do with a lot of the electrical features that I've added to my car. Most of the schematics tell you which fuse the circuit connects to and then you meter the wires til you find what you need.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
The Haynes Manual has the wiring diagram in it. There are no pictures, and I am not inclined to tear my car apart to take some.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Black is the ground for the compass. It goes to pin D in connector C309. and continues to a splice S218

Black/white is ground for the courtesy lights. It is spliced to the white wire S320 from the dome lamp.

Black/Lt Green is the power for the courtesy lights. It is spliced to the dome lamp power wire S318 that is orange.

The power wire for the compass goes to pin E on connector C309 at the base of the B pillar. The wire is pink/black in the wagon, and the sedan is black/Lt blue. There should be pink/black wire that goes from C309 to splice S232 and fuse 17.

I didn't understand initially because those are wires from the mirror. I pulled the whole harness and saw diff wire colors. I found where the compass wires were spliced and have a more clear understanding. Let's see if I can get this right today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts