Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At one time I was going to add the remote disk changer to my 95 Caprice wagon. As technology has obsoleted that, it seems to me that it should be easy to use the input for the remote CD (aux) for a line-in from a blackberry headphone jack using the blackberry as an MP3 player.

Has anyone done this? What is needed? I would like to preserve the factory look by using the existing radio.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
At one time I was going to add the remote disk changer to my 95 Caprice wagon. As technology has obsoleted that, it seems to me that it should be easy to use the input for the remote CD (aux) for a line-in from a blackberry headphone jack using the blackberry as an MP3 player.

Has anyone done this? What is needed? I would like to preserve the factory look by using the existing radio.
I Simple part # is: "IS77" you will need that and antenna adapters (Metra part #'s: "40gm10" & "40gm10"), most audio shops will charge any where from $65-100 dollars to install a modulated aux piece like this and will try and tell you not too. Most likely they will say "just to swap the radio" - and they are correct... For the $250 your about to waste you are much better off swaping the radio as this option is only going to sound as good as your best FM station as it uses your factory antenna as your new "aux" connection. There is no part that I am aware of that works through the CD change port. You may be able to use a USA-Spec's PA11-GM45
http://usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=25

as usa specs site lists it as a part available for the "1997" Impala SS lol....

That part runs about $180-200 and will give you the best sound as opposed to the modulated options from isimple that give you 3/4's of the volume this piece would...

In this case since you have no factory steering wheel controls or a factory touch screen nav (duh) you are needing to interface, so it is a complete waste of money. I only use these pieces in cars when its a cheaper option than a radio swap.

If you don't wanna ruin the factory look have an aftermarket one mounted in the glovebox or somewhere creative and use a RF remote after extending the ref repeater.

The best option and even one I have entertained is using the JL Clean-sweep

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-system-expansion

I use the clean sweep and audio control equivalent pieces i'd say about once a month in an install where there is no way to replace the factory radio without bastardizing the cars dash, ex: 2010 Jag XK-R (billet trim all over the dash)

Please don't waste your money on the isimple or usa spec piece - your car deserves much better.

·
Registered
89 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts