Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help locating a part number, link, brand, for a adjustable coil overs for the front of my 96. I did a search and I read that beefing up the lower control arm is needed, why does it have to be beefed up? Where would you have to beef it up. why is this an issue with the coil overs and not a problem with the Shock Wave air unit? :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BM,

Take a look at page 52 of this PDF

The design, unless there's something that isn't shown, is such that the lower end of the shock bolts into the lower control arm with 2 relatively small bolts, on the flat area inside the stamped spring pocket. I've seen a number of control arms with the holes for the lower end of the shock cracked or broken, and this design moves the entire load that a standard spring WAS supporting and concentrates it on a much smaller and weaker area--not to mention that the entire weight of each corner is now going to be through the lower end of the shock body, which I consider another step in the wrong direction.

The "big block" spring rate offered is only a small bit greater than production, compared to many of the aftermarket conventional springs available.

I am not familiar with the bag setups, but if they also put the load on the same area of the lower arm stamping, then I would have the same concerns.

The shock setup shown on the next page of the catalog (53..xxxxxxx..OOPS- I meant 54) does show a plate and double-shear bolt setup that would be a more preferable way to distribute the load, if you can overlook the fact that the shock is still doing double-duty as a load bearing device, rather than for motion control only.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill is right... the coil over set up applies too much force on the lower shock mount for the stock arm to survive.

This was one of the "design points" when I put my lower control arm project together. And this is why we use 1/4 inch plate steel for the lower shock mount/spring plate. With my arms you can use the coil over set up without issues with the lower arm.

On the spring rates... QA1 bought out Carrera and now there are a couple of other spring rates available.... but I don't have the detials yet. Harvey Clark (Purpala) is running one of these new springs with the Coil Overs and my front arms. You may be able to PM him to get a part number and spring rate.

He's running his car at Hallet this weekend with my new rear arms and the new front springs... so I'm looking forward to his assessment after some time on track.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Navy Lifer:
BM,

Take a look at page 52 of this PDF

The design, unless there's something that isn't shown, is such that the lower end of the shock bolts into the lower control arm with 2 relatively small bolts, on the flat area inside the stamped spring pocket. I've seen a number of control arms with the holes for the lower end of the shock cracked or broken, and this design moves the entire load that a standard spring WAS supporting and concentrates it on a much smaller and weaker area--not to mention that the entire weight of each corner is now going to be through the lower end of the shock body, which I consider another step in the wrong direction.

The "big block" spring rate offered is only a small bit greater than production, compared to many of the aftermarket conventional springs available.

I am not familiar with the bag setups, but if they also put the load on the same area of the lower arm stamping, then I would have the same concerns.

The shock setup shown on the next page of the catalog (53) does show a plate and double-shear bolt setup that would be a more preferable way to distribute the load, if you can overlook the fact that the shock is still doing double-duty as a load bearing device, rather than for motion control only.
I checked out page 53 from the link above. What part number would work on the B-body?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

After looking at the PDF catalog again, I see that I should have identified page 54, not 53, which is drag-only stuff (but maybe that's what you're looking for).

Anyway, the listing is somewhat puzzling to me, since a 70-81 Camaro and 75-79 Nova are, for all intents & purposes, the same exact front suspension clip, and pretty much identical to the B-body, except for vehicle weight. You can see that the kits shown for the Camaro and Nova do show a big-block version--that would be the place to start, I'd think. I do not know what is different enough to result in separate kit listings for these 2 vehicles which are the same "under the skin".

My suggestion at this point is to contact QA1 directly on their tech line--number is on the bottom of every catalog page.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I E-mailed QA1 and this is what they said:

Mike,

Thank you for your question regarding your 1996 Impala SS. We do not catalog a specific application but, I believe the part number GME11 would work for your Impala. The only question would be the lower shock mount. The picture in the catalog illustrates the lower mount. If the lower gold colored plate design matches your lower control arm, I see no reason it would not work in your vehicle.

The only other thing I would suggest is, when you order the kit before attempting to install it. Do some measuring to make sure all of the components will bolt up with your suspension. Taking into account clearances, fit, etc...

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us at any time.

Regards,

Patrick LaValle
QA1 Motorsports
Street Rod Technical Lead
21730 Hanover Avenue
Lakeville, MN 55044
PH 952-985-5675
Fax 952-985-5679

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 2 parts numbers that "fit" are GMP11 and GMP15. The only difference between the 2 is that the GMP11 has a heavier spring rate because it's for big block cars instead of the GMP15 that's for small block cars.

Because our cars are heavy, the GMP11 is the right part number. I have sold a few sets of these to go with my arms... and the customers seem to be pleased.

If you were going to race the car (autocross or road race) I would recommend getting a stiffer spring that what comes with the GMP11... but for a daily driver it will be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.