Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So back in 2008, lost my AC, due to the control arm rubbing on the manifold line. The whole system has basically sat open for 8 years. The compressor was working fine when my refrigerant escaped. do I risk simply putting on a new manifold hose set and accumulator and orifice tube and just charge the system (after flushing), or would you all recommend a new compressor, evaporator and condenser as well?

Thanks for advice...

·
Registered
976 Posts
I was in the same boat when I bought my wagon. AC hose rubbed on control arm, and everything leaked out long before I bought it.

I replaced the orifice tube, hose set, and receiver/drier accumulator, added oil to everything, then pulled a vacuum and tried to recharge it.

While recharging it the compressor started making noise, then locked up. I tried because I'm a cheapass and didn't want to spend a lot of $

@ the least if I was you, I'd pull the compressor, and see how much oil is in it, and if it shows any metal shavings etc. in it.
I probably should have, but oh well.

Mine now has new condenser, and compressor, and works very well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
8 years? Yikes. Compressor could be living in corrosion city.

Dump the:

Compressor
Orifice Tube
Drier/Accumulator
Manifold & Hoses
Condenser

Flush the system, and pull a real good vacuum for a long time, as in hours. Split up the oil between components. Put some in the drier, some in the compressor, some in the condenser.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts