Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im installing lower ball joints and inner/outer tie rods in a few days, can anyone give me any advice. thanks for any help, matt

------------------
Matt Mills
96 Black SS
NAISSO Member #6125
Export Pipes, Swiss Cheezed airbox w/ sewer pipe, Corvette Engine Dress, Steel Braided Hoses,Carbon Fiber dash, Carbon Fiber shifter, Oil gauge, Volt gauge, 2X2 Gauge Pod, Body Bushing upgrade, T/B bypass, Red Bowtie, LT4 Knock Sensor, F-Body EGR valve & Servo, Moog idler Arm & Center Link, A/C drip mod, Emblem mods.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Matt : are you doing this in your driveway or on a hoist ?
I recently did the upper control arm bushings, upper & lower ball joints, inner & outer tie rod ends, Buick center link, and it was a lot easier on the hoist, with access to an additional floor jack....
Jim...'95 BBB with some mods ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Matt, Inner & outer tie rod ends are easy, just need a pickle fork & hammer to break them free. Lower ball joints are a more involved, you'll need a ball joint press to remove & install the lower ball joint - this your first time doing it?

------------------
Pete M. '96 DCM SS, '96 B4U Caprice, '91 9C1, '69 Impala spt cpe, '01 Yukon XL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is my first ball joint install. ive already done the idler arm and center link so i feel real confident with the tie rods. i got a ball joint press on loan from the auto parts store. and im planning on doing this using a jack and jack stands. any thoughts? thanks guys

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First remove the cotter pins, Next remove the lower b/j nut.If you are doing this in your driveway put the jack under the controll arm!!!!!!!!!!!! Then put a sutable pickle fork between the spindle and b/j and hit it with a BFH. After the balljoint breaks free have someone hold the spindle *** . out of your way and smack the balljoint downwards to get it out of the control arm. When you get it out clean all the mateing surfaces. Place the new balljoint in the control arm and use the press to press it in. Dont install the zerk until the b/j is in place. after it is pressed in install the boot and zerk. place spindle *** . back in place, install nut, torque to spec(not shure),install cotter key and grease. Take it from the man that does it for a living. I can do all 4 B/J's on a b body in less than an hour. ha ha ha Good Luck Dave

------------------
1995 BBB Impala SS, custom chrome intake,K&n,Homeplate delete,clear markers,Rk sport clear tail lights, H.I.D Blue Head lights, Red bow tie, Fel-pro, Moog idler arm,Parking brake delete, 255/45/17 Kumho tires, S-10 center caps, mobil 1.

1965 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (SS)
14x7 luxor wire wheels, 84 Olds regency 98 Seats, 66 caddy door panels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.