Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
65,000 miles on it, I'm the second owner since 2005. I have a cash offer of 10k and part of me wants to take it because I'm just not looking forward to the work of advertising and I told the person as is, not going to detail it, or take it to the body shop for some minor shopping cart dents. Was garaged until a year ago and have put 10k on it and am driving it because after divorce the only car I had. Getting a new car, I know the more I drive it and the more scratches it gets the lower the value goes. But I'm wondering if I should invest a little into it to get a lot more selling it? Not sure how much more I could get out of it though even if it was perfect.

I'd like to hear any thoughts on this or people's experience with selling or buying one. It's totally stock except for the radio, I did that really good kit on it from this forum that makes it look like it came from the factory. I've seen some going for 18k or more with this many miles, but don't know how much I'd be getting out of it after advertising, consignment fees, or whatever else it takes to get that much. Person is really eager to pay 10k, I'm wondering if I'm making a huge mistake on this. I guess it comes down to what I'm willing to give up just to get this over with, cause I miss it already.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I am not of the car collector category. I try to stay away from cars that have "new"paint One reason is I wonder if it is hiding something, the second is If there is a problem with the work most body shops care little about the second owner. The other is "new" tires. I want to pick the tires I put on a car not get stuck with the last owner's choice. In both cases tell the buyer that repair and parts are choices they should make so the warranty is in their name and you do not become "a middle man"

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Cars of this type and vintage, these days puts then into a buyers market. Most cases buyer are looking for a good deal or they'll move on. And most in general aren't car aficionado's. So your buyer pool is probably pretty small. Only the collector types will pay big bucks. Kept in storage and time may get you a good number. Which is more important to you now you have to ask yourself...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I see many 96's with similar miles in very nice condition sell in the 10-12K range. Cars that sell in the 18k range are usually very low miles in like new condition. But it all boils down to what someone would pay. I would say if this guy has the cash and its a no hassle deal then I say go for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see many 96's with similar miles in very nice condition sell in the 10-12K range. Cars that sell in the 18k range are usually very low miles in like new condition. But it all boils down to what someone would pay. I would say if this guy has the cash and its a no hassle deal then I say go for it.
This makes sense to me. I just put on a new cat and water pump, but there are some flaws in the paint and I'm really not looking to go through a big hassle. I'll miss all the people who come up to me and talk to me about the car, but its time to let someone else enjoy it and not to keep using it as a daily driver and devaluing it the way I have been the last few months.

·
Super Moderator
8,391 Posts
The challenge is finding a buyer with cash, and the economy isn't going to get much better. I don't think people can get bank loans on 25 year old cars either. You could probably find a buyer for more money but yes they'll get more picky. If you're not happy with the offer, tell him $10k but he needs to throw something else in on the deal. Jet ski, motorcycle, home theatre system, whatever.

·
Registered
557 Posts
This makes sense to me. I just put on a new cat and water pump, but there are some flaws in the paint and I'm really not looking to go through a big hassle. I'll miss all the people who come up to me and talk to me about the car, but its time to let someone else enjoy it and not to keep using it as a daily driver and devaluing it the way I have been the last few months.
So you're selling so that you don't devalue it? If you're selling for $10K you've only got another $10K of devaluing to do. And it will never be worth zero. If that's your motivation to sell it, just keep it. Even if you put another 100K miles on it it's only going to cost you ~$5K in depreciation. That's cheap transportation, my friend.

·
Super Moderator
8,391 Posts
Agree with lotsacars - if the car is nice, and it's not perfect, and you enjoy driving it, then drive it. Do what you need to do to keep it reliable. If somebody wants to buy it, then figure out a price you'd be real happy letting it go at. That 10k person is truly after you because they'd be getting a steal. When I first read your post it sounded like you really wanted to sell it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just can't keep it the way it deserves to be kept up anymore. It needs manifold gaskets now and the headlights aren't working, it's getting dings and scratches and dents. I'm not in a desperate situation that I have to get screwed to sell it. But if the right offer comes along I'd take it. I've been asked to sell it almost every time I take it somewhere. Before I was always like no way, but now that I am saying yes, they are shocked and don't have the cash. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,391 Posts
You don't owe that car anything. It's a car. If it's in real good shape, I would not sell it for $10k; could you replace it with an equally good condition car for $10k?

BTW talkers never have cash. Just make sure the car doesn't get stolen. These cars aren't rocket science to steal, but, GPS trackers are cheap nowadays.

·
Registered
224 Posts
A car in great shape with 65K miles seems like a keeper, if you can. You say the headlights don't work--not a lot to go wrong there--should be easy to figure out if you can give us more details.
Manifold gaskets--okay, a bigger pain, since if they're leaking you may have broken bolts or manifold cracks, but not a huge deal.
Other problems, sure they'll occur, but that's true for any car. Take care of it and you'll have repair expenses for the next 100,000 miles, but no car payments ever. Sounds like you have kept the car up and really enjoy it. In ten years you'll still be spending less then your neighbors and it'll be an even cooler car than it is now.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I sold my black 96 SS last year for $10k and it had 100k miles. The paint was ok, but faded in several areas. Everything worked fine, but it did need some stuff fixed like broken manifold bolts, window regulator, etc. The guy I sold it to tried to get me down under $10k, but I refused knowing I could get more if I was patient and did more work to fix the little problems. I felt $10k was fair and this guy was extremely happy to finally have his dream car which made me feel good. Even after 2 years he still calls me asking for advice on parts and direction which is cool. Yes you could get more money if you spend more money and time to make things look better and work better, but is it really worth it? Cash buyers are hard to find for cars this old so my advice would be to take the offer.

Steve

·
Registered
1994 Impala SS
7 Posts
As you know, it's your decision in the end. But 10k is a great price for the buyer. I wouldn't put any money into it of you plan on selling it. Just my opinion. Just like others have mentioned tho, you won't be able to replace it for $10k so keep that in mind as well. Tough call selling these cars when they are in good shape!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts