Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using the LTZ Caprice Hood Ornament for years and have had two of them blow off after a few years of service. It seems the glue used to keep them together is no match for the Georgia Sun and Heat. The last one was lucky enough to blow off and get caught under the wipers. I used two part epoxy to re-attach but that too, succumbed to the relentless southern heat and sun and now is somewhere on I-285 between my house and the Atlanta airport.

So, as always, Pandora's Wagon is at it again. Rather than just get a third emblem or some other cheaper, and easier option, I want to fill the hole. Sounds easy enough but if I'm going this far, I figure to do something I have always wanted like add an SS grill and grafting in someZ34 Lumina hood louvers I have been saving two sets just for this occasion; one just the louvers and trays, the other is an entire Z34 hood in case skin grafting metal was needed. (they kinda sit down flush with some tabs stamped out of the hood metal, so I thought a whole Lumina hood would be good to have on hand)

Here is a pic of my mock up:

My question to anyone that has done this is; I know the trays dictate the side to side measurement but what is the best looking front to rear location? Also, what other issues should I be on the lookout for? Under hood bracing, hood shocks, water from rain, etc.

My ultimate plan is that these will be painted the same Adriatic Blue as will the SS grill so they will look factory.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've been running mine for a few years, no problems even during monsoon season. I guess it really depends on where you like them, I've seen them in several different locations on the hood. Mine are lined up centered over the ridges on the hood and basically over the headers. Almost exactly where yours are except further in towards the center.

The only really 'difficult' part I ran into was the under hood bracing was a bit tricky to make everything sit well but nothing too bad.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've been running mine for a few years, no problems even during monsoon season. I guess it really depends on where you like them, I've seen them in several different locations on the hood. Mine are lined up centered over the ridges on the hood and basically over the headers. Almost exactly where yours are except further in towards the center.

The only really 'difficult' part I ran into was the under hood bracing was a bit tricky to make everything sit well but nothing too bad.
how much was labor to get it done? thinkin a bout doing my impala

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Do a search, this has been brought up a few times. Heres mine. Cut, grind, bondo, smooth, primer and paint. You can check in my sig.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info SV SS. Are you running the trays under the hood or are they just open to the engine compartment?

Looks great DesertDawg! That's the look I'm going for. Please post any other pics you may have.

Ree SS,
I did find your thread on your hood. I like the way your flushed them with the hood and it looks real custom! Looks like you did a lot of work but it definately paid off.

I am trying to get in with a guy that did my neighbor's Jeep to see if he can do this.
Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice! Love the look! Not to changethe subject, but I had openings in my hood, just about same locations.
Didi it on my test mule after installing our twin turbo kit ,to help vent the extra heat out.

Found out, that was a good location for the vents - RHS turbo oiling line was leaking , and I got oil on my RHS of the windshield :)
Guess venting part was OK!
Gerat look guys,

·
Registered
206 Posts
I did all the work myself, I'll take pics if you want. I'm not the greatest body person but I'm pretty happy with the result.

I've never run the solid part of the trays, I just have the 'mesh' part installed to keep the junk out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SV SS
I'm not that confident with my welding skills yet so I will have to send it out. If you would take some pics, that would be great. If you could also take some of the underside as well, that would be even better.

I never thought of running just the mesh to lower the underhood temps. something to think about.

Jay

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm actually in the process of doing my louvers. I'm doing the work myself at school. I will post how I did it once I'm done.

I'm also positioning them right on top of the headers.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
cool vid

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I see now that the lumina hood will have to give some metal to the project. Now I'm glad I got the whole hood and not just the louvers. I just wish he would have shown the back side and if he used the trays. Is this someone's hood on the fourm?

Thanks for the vids and advice. Now I need to buy a welder.

Jay

·
Premium Member
519 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
383LSxIMPALA
how does one put them on a fiberglass hood?

cut the shape and fiberglass resign them then body filler it to prefection

1 - 20 of 43 Posts