Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if any of you guys saw these or not yet??

Highlights:

They will be offered in all the current port volumes 180, 195, 210cc street heads and 220, 227, and raised runner 215 "race" heads.

Here are a couple of flow specs from the article
180cc 275 at .600
street 195cc 285cfm at .600
competition 195cc 300cfm at .600
210cc over 300cfm at .500 lift
210cc 310 cfm at .600
220cc should be over 320cfm at .600

Says here the new 220 out flows the old 227's
and the new 210 out flows the old 220 & 227's "AWESOME"

Article:

http://airflowresearch.com/articles/article113/A-P1.htm

Some dyno results from AFR for the 195CC street heads.

383 CID "cheap" shortblock (cast crank, hypereutectic pistons, etc.)
10.8 CR (91 octane all day long)
1.75 headers
240/246 Flat tappet hydraulic cam (this feature is all about the budget BTW)
Vic Jr that I lightly cleaned the plenum and port matched
750 Demon Carb

How about 520 HP at 6200 RPM....481 TQ @ 5200 and the engine was still making 490 HP @ 7000 RPM. We were extremely pleased....I drove to the dyno facility with the heads thinking if I leave with 500 HP that would be pretty awesome all things considered.

That head flows 280 CFM @ .500 lift with stong low and midlift flow and a killer exhaust port as well (its actually stronger on the exhaust side than we will probably advertise....that head went around 220 @ .500 lift!).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would like to see the same numbers on an independent flowbench. AFR was always optimistic with its flow numbers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tell you what, You call AFR and tell them that you know a guy with a fast Impala SS and convince them to send me a set of their cylinder heads they think would be the best for the application and I'll run them and tell you and everyone esle how good or not so good they really are. If I like them them, I'll buy them and if I don't I'll return them: that's fair enough! Or you could just buy a set and let us know. The numbers that count are the numbers at the track

383 cu in 6" rod motor
11.14 at 119.36 at 3780 lbs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not see mentioned in that article that those were LT1 heads or that AFR was going to step up production of their LT1 heads. AFR is neglecting the production of the LT1 casting probably due to the thousands of LS1 heads being produced and sold. Good for the LS1 guys and bad for us LT1 guys.

A good performing out of the box LT1 cylinder head would be worth it's weight in gold, (unless it was made of Fe alloy haha then it would be worth it's weight in lead)

All kidding aside, don't cast off your old stock cylinder heads just yet. They may be the future "core" unless companies begin to start producing some LT1 stuff. LS1 has taken over the world, (like WalMart).

karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Karl,

I talked to Dale at Speed Unlimited in Morningside, MD.
He said they have a set of AFR LT1 heads in stock.
They are $1800 however.

-Nab

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Karl Ellwein:
I did not see mentioned in that article that those were LT1 heads or that AFR was going to step up production of their LT1 heads. AFR is neglecting the production of the LT1 casting probably due to the thousands of LS1 heads being produced and sold. Good for the LS1 guys and bad for us LT1 guys.

A good performing out of the box LT1 cylinder head would be worth it's weight in gold, (unless it was made of Fe alloy haha then it would be worth it's weight in lead)

All kidding aside, don't cast off your old stock cylinder heads just yet. They may be the future "core" unless companies begin to start producing some LT1 stuff. LS1 has taken over the world, (like WalMart).

karl
Karl it was mentioned on one of the pages that the new heads will be offered in gen 1 and gen 2 apps.

its on page 26 last paragraph at bottom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The exact point I'm trying to make and hence the offer to perform unbias R&D. I port cylinder heads and would love to find a set that goes faster then mine for anything near the same cost.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by 1FAST94:

The exact point I'm trying to make and hence the offer to perform unbias R&D. I port cylinder heads and would love to find a set that goes faster then mine for anything near the same cost.
I tried the let me have some for free bit for testing, but they didnt like that

I didnt make the post to make any claims that AFR is the best maker of LTX heads around, just spreading the word that they've come out with "new" castings...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Buffman:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 1FAST94:

I tried the let me have some for free bit for testing, but they didnt like that

I didnt make the post to make any claims that AFR is the best maker of LTX heads around, just spreading the word that they've come out with "new" castings...
</font>[/QUOTE]Matt, while my posts seem tongue-in-cheek (they are) there is some seriousness to them too. I really could and would provide credible and un-bias testing and it wouldn't cost the head provider anything. Through the years I've seen over and over, different companies re-invent the wheel through the media of magezine only to disappoint the masses. I think even Karl would agree that even the best CNC castings available anywhere on the planet are still finished by hand by a knowledgeable porter somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.