Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed the headers back in march and had the exhaust hooked up in July, I took the car out for the first time since the installation today(Had it towed to and from the exhaust shop.) and you can definitely feel the difference in power. The drivers side is a breeze and can be installed in less than 5 minutes. Now the passenger side took some time and i ended up breaking the a/c line. But after awhile it went on with no problems at all. I ended up getting the exhaust hooked up(included installing 02 sensors for 150 bucks.) All in all id say that if you are looking for a cheap header these are for you.

Total price for me was
204 bucks shipped for headers
120 for 02 sensors i believe(could have kept the old ones).
150 for custom exhaust hookup
120 for new wires(you have to run at least 5 of them over the valve covers or they will definitely burn up in a matter of minutes.
50 bucks for header wrap since i got the uncoated version(im only using the wrap around the area of the spark plugs.
15 bucks for my cheap ass to rent a sawzall from home depot.

674 total, if i had to do it again, I would have saved some cash and went with the gen I Tri-ys. I was able to see them in person and they definitely would have not interfered with the spark plug wires.

· Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you get creative enough there could be ;)

Really wanna see how a set of these hook to the exhaust.
Ill tell you what, when the car is on the trailer next wednesday ill snap a pic of the underside, I took a look under there and they did nice job of not making it pretty when they were bending the pipes lol, Its not pretty but it works. Tommorow ill get a picture from above.

· Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O yea i have to give thanks to Mr. Buick and Dustman for answering alot of my idiotic quiestions.

· Registered
1996 BBB
1,756 Posts
I always ran the wires down with my afterburners, just used a roll of ignition wire heat loom (kind of line those socks you see but this stuff comes in a roll and barely fits over the ignition wire, the heat shielding socks would have surely been easier). Never burnt a wire. I also ran straight painted ones, no coating.

· Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always ran the wires down with my afterburners, just used a roll of ignition wire heat loom (kind of line those socks you see but this stuff comes in a roll and barely fits over the ignition wire, the heat shielding socks would have surely been easier). Never burnt a wire. I also ran straight painted ones, no coating.
ignition wire heat loom, would you mind posting a link to a picture of this because i am still worried about my wires melting on me after a long drive.

· Registered
1996 BBB
1,756 Posts
ignition wire heat loom, would you mind posting a link to a picture of this because i am still worried about my wires melting on me after a long drive.
Here is the boots

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Spark-Plug-Wire-Boot-Guards/753641/10002/-1

I can't seem to find the loom stuff I used. It was real cheap and came in a looooong roll that I have still been using on my own car and friends cars. It's a bit more of a PITA than the boots because it barely fits around the wire, and doesn't fit over the spark ignition wire boots so you have to take the wire boots off, slide the loom on and then put the boots back on the wire, but the end result is a shield that covered the entire length of the wire if you want it that long. I still use it now on my 94 with borla shorties and I run the wires VERY close to the headers on the pass side and no burns.

· Registered
1996 BBB
1,756 Posts

· Registered
1,162 Posts
I always ran the wires down with my afterburners [...]. I also ran straight painted ones, no coating.
same here!

got cheap headers, welded O2 bungs to them and hooked it up to my exhaust system.

I just used the regular B-body wire set.

· Registered
3,515 Posts
Thanks Dan, seen those already though and IF I go this route i'll be getting a set of pipes from ya.

I think people (me at least) are wanting to see good pics of them from above and such though.

· Registered
880 Posts
I swear everyone says they will snap pics of their AB's and I never see them lol
I tried to post some pics for you guys 2 days ago but couldn't get back on the forum til now!!!!

Here's some waaaaaay old pics from the install on my caddy. I had them powdercoated locally with a high temp satin black. And as you can see, the o2 wires reached the collectors just fine. You can see where they exit and what I did for the exhaust hookup too.

Wrapped and aluminum taped AC lines.

Installed.

Someone had mentioned plug wire issues, too, but I was able to use stock wires and just some zip ties to keep them routed away from the headers. :)

HTH!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.