Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have flowmaster mufflers welded into my stock cat back exhaust with the resenators deleted . will I benifit from an aftermarket catback system? (I was looking at the borla system) will the gain be worth the money? 95 9c1

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
You don't have to spend the money on Borla, there are a few others out there that will give you just the same benefit as Borla, if not more, I have Pypes cat back on my car and love, my RMS has Jegs cat back which is the cheapest, but not bad quality, all mandrel bent 2.5 inch tubes.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
You could buy 4 jegs catbacks, for the cost of one Borla Catback... The Borla catback price is outrageous.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
cat back

I have trhe Flowmaster American Thunder system on my car currently. It has a H-pipe and resonator delete. Had this system for years and I think it only runs about $500. Very easy to install in the driveway while car was on jackstands. I also used Band Clamps to hook it all up so I could take things apart if needed. I also like the Stainless tailpipes that run the length of the rear quarters similar to the old mustang 5.0's. Looks and sounds pretty good. There is also a 3" system on the forum that a company is now making for the B-body with similar tail pipes. Can't remember the link but do some quick searching.

·
Registered
45 Posts
cat back

so does the jeds cat back come with a x pipe and does i sound similar to flowmaster 40s. It is alot cheaper and im sure jeds would not produce junk.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
No xpipe on the Jegs, as far as sounding like Flow's probably not, they are known for their unique sound, here is a clip of my RMS, there is no cats on mine though. And my 9C1 Pypes Streetpro, x pipe, triy headers, no cats.

Also the other company with the 3 inch is www.clearimageautomotive.com

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Thunder kit

Here is a link to a vid of the Flowmaster setup...

There are others out there just google "American thunder Impala"

Twice as much as the Jegs setup. But installation and fit was very good with the flowmaster. Don't know much about the jegs setup but don't like that the tailpipe is 2 sections. The flowmaster tailpipe is one pipe from the muffler.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea but would i benifit from a cat back or does the setup i have now flow sufficient enough for my mods? (flowmasters on stock catback with resenators deleted). bottom line would i gain more power going to an aftermarket catback?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
yea but would i benifit from a cat back or does the setup i have now flow sufficient enough for my mods?
The stock mufflers and the 2" pipes behind them are the stock exhaust's major restrictions, even if you haven't done ANY previous mods. The more mods you've done, the bigger the restriction they are.

(The exhaust manifolds are the next major exhaust restriction.)

If you feel like spending less money, just replace the mufflers (with Summit Turbos if the money's really tight), the over-the-axle pipes, and the tailpipes. You can also reuse the resonators, if you want.

The driverside pipe between the converter and the muffler still has the same cross-sectional area as an unflattened pipe, but if you're hung up on it as a restriction, you might as well replace the entire catback exhaust system.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i already replaced the mufflers with flowmasters and took off the resenators and installed a straight pipe. WILL I STILL BENIFIT FROM AN AFTERMARKET CATBACK? OR WILL IT NOT BE WORTH THE TIME AND MONEY.....

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Mike....The 9C1 sounds/looks good. The dog sounded a little nervous before you started her up :>)
Thanks, yeah he is a terd, whines alot and barks alot, just because :)

yea i already replaced the mufflers with flowmasters and took off the resenators and installed a straight pipe. WILL I STILL BENIFIT FROM AN AFTERMARKET CATBACK? OR WILL IT NOT BE WORTH THE TIME AND MONEY.....
Short answer yes, what you have to remember even though you put in flowmasters and straight pipes, I am assuming that you are just talking behind the axles, the exhaust systems that I have listed above are both mandrel bent 2.5 inch pipes, the factory is a crushed and mushed 2.25, so YES you would benefit from it, seat of the pants maybe but higher RPM will build better power, headers would be the biggest gain, IMHO though tied with a new exhaust.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Nobody going to mention that flowmasters are NOT the best flowing muff's in the world.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
1. Flowmasters are some of the worse flowing 'performance' mufflers on the market. You haven't done yourself any favors installing them.

2. The stock pipes are too small to give you solid performance......no matter what brand or type of mufflers you use.

3. Yes, you WILL benefit from a 2.5" cat-back. I would recommend the DynoMax system......with an X-Pipe if your budget would permit.

KW

·
Registered
45 Posts
cat back

ok well paying for my tune today and would like to pay for a catback and not working right now. so i was considering the jeds one can someone rate it on scale of one to ten?

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
ok well paying for my tune today and would like to pay for a catback and not working right now. so i was considering the jeds one can someone rate it on scale of one to ten?
8.5-9 good quality for the price, easy to install etc.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Will you benefit from a catback.......Here is a pic that will answer that question.

ANYTHING is better than the factory choke pipes. If price is a concern, go Frankenstein.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts