Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i was wondering if anyone knows of any companies that make harmonic balancers for our cars.i am installing a 396 and want to put on an aftrmarket balancer now that th motor is out.
thanks paul.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by strokedimpala:
hi i was wondering if anyone knows of any companies that make harmonic balancers for our cars.i ...want to put on an aftrmarket balancer now that th motor is out.
Sooooo.....what's wrong with your stock damper :confused: ???

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you know, if you end up running 10's in the 1/4 one day you'll need an SFI damper, (and dagone SFI flexplate and tranny shiled).
Those are things I do not have right now and should probably have. (I do have the SFI flexplate though).

Bob, you say you had an ATI damper. "had"?
Was it a good piece and what do you have now?

I would simply need to tell ATI that I want one for an LT4 since that is what I'm running right now. Right?

tia,
Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
baraka i feel like upgrading as i am putting in the 396 i would like to do everything right from the getgo.thanks everyone with any advice.
paul.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi karl i just checked on the ati website and they do have one listed for our cars i did not write down he # but i believe summit racing sells ati dampers.
thanks paul.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paul, if you don't mind spacing out your accessory bracket, you can run an LT4 SFI Fluidamper...

I'm currently running a CAT LT4 SFI fluidamper. I believe I paid around $200 for it on Ebay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the leads and info guys. I'm going to check out the ATI and that CAT Fluidamper.

Paul, some info for you. A few of us have gone to LT4 "stock" GM damper but puts the accessory belt out further away from the engine, (16mm). Not really a bennefit over the LT1 damper but I like it for the extra alternator space away from the passenger valve cover.
Might look into that because you have more valve cover options just by moving the accessories 16mm forward. (spacers are used between bracket and engine-heads to move all the accessories 16mm).

It's not neccessary to do this though.

Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi karl i think i am going to go with the ati damper for 396.i spoke with chad at golen engines who is buildin my motor he said they are an awesome piece and he has used them before.i am spending a lot of money on this car i want to do it right from the start,thanks for the info on the lt-4 damper i do not want to use spacers.i also spoke with chad about the injectors and we decided to go with the flow-matched svo 42lb he said bryan at pcm for less could program these no problem so its the svo 42lb inj and the ati damper,thanks karl for your advice and thanks to everyone else for their advice i appreciate it.
thanks paul.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey paul-
rich had some good info in this link about jeg's offering:
http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006579
there are a number of possibilities, but the common piece is the damper. all lt-1's use the same stock part. the variances are with the hub length, with differences between Y,B,F bodies and within that, the year of production.
the lt4 is most feasible and will give you more rpm range, but the accessories must be spaced forward... yields room for the valve cover access but puts the rotating mass further out. plus, you still will need to get a keyed hub.
the jeg's unit is proprietary and cannot use the stock hub. a little more $ and you get an SFI approved piece and a keyed hub. (edit: sold separtely, thanks rich ;) ) also, you have the ability to use an underdrive ratio.
the most costly is the ATI. again proprietary, so you'll need the kit that includes the hub. the advantages again, SFI approved, keyed hub and rebuildable. but you are limited to one choice, the 6.75" underdrive aluminum unit.
i guess you could employ the others for the F or Y body and augment your accessory spacing, of which measurements i am unaware of.
i called today but missed their operating hours, close @ 5pm EST. i will f/u tomorrow to verify the b-body application, since there are differences with the 94/5 and the 96 hubs. (to accommodate the crank sensor) i'll update later.
hth-
doug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do a search on ASP. I forgot the companies name but I have their under drive balancer and alt. pulley. It was about $170 for both.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i've been running the ATI balancer now for about 2 years. no problems whatsoever. it was before they had a kit.....as was mentioned earlier, plan on spending about 400.00. i have no complaints and i'd buy another one. it was plug and play all the way, which for me, justified the cost.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The spacers need to be 16mm / .406" long with a 3/8" or 5/16" hole in the center. And once you run this damper, yes, you can run ANY valve cover you want.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hi thanks guys for all the info its amazing how much info is on this forum,i am still going to go with the ati i want as much plug and play as possible.
thanks paul.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.